• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn Contact Hitting Cancelling Cam and Shorting Out

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Driving the truck last night I noticed sparks coming from behind the steering wheel occasionally. After further investigation the top 12V power post for the horn bends a little when making a right turn causing it to come in contact with the turn signal cancelling cam on the steering wheel. Since the cam is grounded I believe that is causing my short. After correcting the steering wheel back to center the horn post corrects itself and sticks straight up again. I tried loosening the steering wheel because I thought maybe it was causing too much pressure on those horn posts. That didn't help. I plan to pull the wheel off to investigate further. Last time I had the steering wheel off the plastic turn signal switch and posts look brand new.

I don't want to grind some of the metal turn cam off. Do you think some dielectric grease will help lubricate the steering wheel rings, so the post doesn't snag it?

Pictures are just ones I found on the web for reference. Any ideas are appreciated!

Attachments

• Horn posts.jpg
    Horn posts.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Cancelling cam.jpg
    Cancelling cam.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 19

jckkys

Bronco Guru
This happened to me when I installed a Grant wheel. So I ground the cam about 1/8" shorter. It works now. The cam is cheap at at least one EB vendor.

OP
OP
mpboxer

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
This happened to me when I installed a Grant wheel. So I ground the cam about 1/8" shorter. It works now. The cam is cheap at at least one EB vendor.

Thanks jckkys! I ended up sanding the rings on the steering wheel with 1000 grit sandpaper to get rid of the scratches, put some dielectric grease on them, and ground some of that cam. Seems to have done the trick! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 17