• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How many installs can a Ball Joint take

hauland

I have had an issue with the upper passenger side ball joint not seating correctly and in the process of diagnosing and fixing it I have installed the knuckle to the axle 4 or 5 times.

Should I be concerned about how many times I have installed and torqued the knuckle. I only pressed the ball joints into the knucle once but have bolted it up multiple times to the axle.

According to the shop manual I need to replace the spindle nuts and lower ball joint nut. Does anyone have a good reason why not to do this.

Thanks, P.J.

ol gray mare

I've removed the knuckles on mine 3 or 4 times since I replaced the ball joints (for repairs, upgrades etc). I've never had any issues with them, still tight as ever. I replaced the spindle nuts with new grade 8's when I did the disc conversion and have reused them since. I am always careful not to over torque them. The bottom ball joint has a pinch nut as opposed to the castle nut and cotter pin on top, and they can lose their grip with reuse. Bet it would suck to lose one.:eek: