• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much did you pay to have your Bronco painted?

C Saporito

I paid $5500, this includes bonding the flares to the glass fenders and tub, some minor glass work on the hood and fenders (my son helped with most of the sanding)
The work was done by a small shop about 2 miles away that specialized in custom cycles, He had spare time over last winter.
I had to talk him down from a cartoonish looking naked lady on the hood several times (he does not do plain paint), finally settling on "fire" to appease my son, but it was air brushed on top of a few coats of clear so it could be sanded off if I couldn't live with it.

Miker

Bronco Guru
Here's the reason you get crazy prices all over the spectrum.
I work as a painter and we don't do rustorations simply because nobody in the shop wants to do them. There isn't enough money on them to make it worth our while. For every hour I work I turn about 4 or more billable hours. I work flat rate and the more I turn the more I make. We, especially bodymen would rather work on insurance work. That is just how body shops work. An all over paint job pays roughly 40 hours give or take 5 hours on just the paint. That is usually a dent here and there that needs primed
or a vehicle that was keyed or something. I would much rather paint the front end of a vehicle and blend the doors for 25-30 hours and spend 2 hours prep and 2 hours painting it. It would take all day if not more to prep an all over primed vehicle to get ready to paint the next day. I know you say it doesn't need bodywork and is ready for paint but I assure you it isn't. I've been called to the office many times to look over a part or car that is "ready for paint" and haven't seen a true scuff and shoot. Even if it was ready what does it look like under the primer? How thick is the body work? What grit was the body work finished in prior to primer? All these things can come and bite a shop in the future. Even if you got a no warranty paint job, why would a shop want to put their name on someone elses shoddy prep work? I know it might sound crazy but that is how it is.
You can try to find a guy to do it on the side but as Broncobowsher said there are a lot of flakey guys out there so watch out! I for one will not do side work, mainly because I know your vehicle will be at my house for a very, very long time. The last thing I want to see is another vehicle when I get home let alone on a weekend.
My suggestion.... Do it yourself it really isn't hard. The hard part of the painting process itself is blending and color match. Neither of them you need to worry about on an all over. I can answer just about any tech question you have and probably covered it in a thread on here.
Good luck!

Take what this man says,,, to the bank. He knows the business!

Bferrari

Take what this man says,,, to the bank. He knows the business!

I second that! My whole setup is based on the recommendations of Mr. Fahey! Very knowledgeable guy and very generous in assisting others get on the right track! Thanks again Allen!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..VERY FUNNY HERE.. Lot of different prices... My Running Buddy ask a shop how much to paint his.. They ask 2200.00 I told him to jump all over it.
.. I know this shop, as they've been painting for 30 years..
... As I said .. I started in this business in 1967. I can't imagine how a paint job with not much body work can cost 10 grand.
.. Now Body work is another deal.