• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to cut 2 5/8 inch Guage Holes

ripcityracing

I am about to install some 2 5/8 inch guages in my dash and was looking for some hints. I have hole saws but not 2 5/8ths yet.... I have a plasma cutter, sawzall and a jigsaw.

What's the technique to getting these perfect?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Try a 2 1/2" hole saw. Usually there's enough wobble that the hole will wind up at 2 5/8". Try it out on a scrap piece first.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
IF you have GOOD hole saws, and a good drill and way to hold the work piece, i have surprised myself as to how good of a hole i can cut.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Be careful not to bend your pilot bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ripcityracing

thank you all, hole saw it is. I currently only have 1 3/4 and 2 inch saws that I use in my tubing notcher but I am off to buy a good 2 1/2 inch saw and I will start hacking away this evening....

Thanks again

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Couple tips...you MUST use a drill press rather than a hand-held drill motor. Clamp the workpiece very firmly, then throw a couple more clamps on it. Use cutting fluid and go slow. If you have a piece of aluminum plate to use as a backer, that will work better than wood as it won't give as much.

Now that we're on the subject, as anyone ever used a Greenlee punch for this purpose? Do they even make the dies in that big of sizes? Those would make a nice cut but would probably deform the metal a bit.

Dusty

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Now that we're on the subject, as anyone ever used a Greenlee punch for this purpose? Do they even make the dies in that big of sizes? Those would make a nice cut but would probably deform the metal a bit.

Dusty
They are always my first choice for a clean (almost perfect) hole, but off the top of my head... I'm not sure if there's one close enough to 2 5/8".

DSCN2118.jpg

DSCN2151.jpg

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I BELIEVE IF IT CALLS FOR A 2 5/8 THAT'S WHAT i'D BUY I have had to use a file and it's not easy to remove that much.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've used a GreenLee hydraulic punch for up to 16 ga stainless...didn't like that much, but mild steel is like butter by comparison. Any decent electrical shop, especially one that does industrial controls wiring, should have all of the necessary tools for popping holes in electrical enclosures.

The only issue I've had with the punches is that they tend to deform the surrounding material somewhat if they're dull...probably from some guy trying to cut 16 guage stainless with a set of punch dies not meant for it...

u10072

Bronco Guru
Dude go and buy a 2 5/8" holesaw-- get it from Home Depot and when it burns up they will replace it for free! Trust me its the best $11 you can buy if your building a dash-- that is unless you have a punch of course!