• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Howell EFI on 302

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
Is anyone else out there running Howell EFI set up? What do you think of it? I get a strange intermittent issue where when everything is warmed up, I will come to a stop and the RPM's stay at around 1300. It won't kick down. I am running a 5 speed stick, so I can load the brake and ease the clutch to bring the RPM down to 700, then it's fine most of the time. A few times I have had to stop, turn off the key, fire it right back up, and it's fine. No trouble codes being thrown, but it's really aggravating. I went with EFI to make it run better, now after two years this is happening. Ideas??

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I have it and it runs good. Not great. There is a idle adjustment screw on the front to bump up the idle speed. You have to drill out a small cone shape on the actual throttle body to do it. It's a torx head screw. There is a proper procedure to do it. You have to jump a b on the ob1 and Google will help with the rest as I forgot. Pm if you have any questions

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Found it on a email

~ IDLE SPEED--As delivered, your TBI unit controls idle speed based on information in the calibration prom. <font color=red>No adjustments are provided as long as the Idle Air Control (IAC) is connected.</font color=red> In the event you need a slower idle for rock crawling or rough terrain, you can disconnect the IAC and manually set an idle speed using the following procedure on a warm engine: l. Jumper across the A & B pins in the ALDL connector with a paper clip or wire. Now turn on the ignition and the IAC will close completely. 2. With ignition Still on, engine not running, disconnect the Idle Air Control 4 pin connector. 3. Start engine and adjust the throttle stop screw to give the idle speed you need. 4. Reconnection the IAC at any time will again give you ECM control of the idle speed. If you have a modified engine and determine that your supplied calibration prom is not correct, we will supply you with another prom with similar part load calibration but altered under heavy load to match your requirements. If you have other problems or questions about your TBI kit, contact Howell Engine Developments by phone at

slowRoaner

Loc.
Durango
x2 on what treihesse said. Ive ran howell before, and had this same issue. Easy adjustment to do, and i dont recall having to drill anything.

On one setup, i also had a sticky thottle cable, that wouldnt let loose unless i popped the throttle and let the return spring gain some momentum.

So maybe check your throttle connections first, before going through ^^ procedure

slow

brupard

I seem to be having the opposite problem with my howell setup that I installed last year. Once it's warmed up if I come to a stop light it will loose rpm's, stumble and cut out. I did the IAC adjustment posted above at Howell's suggestion and it helped a little but hasn't completely resolved my issue.

Your original question being "what do you think of it", I think it's a great kit if you are one of the fortunate people who have no problems out of the box. From all of the research I've done regarding my problem it seems there are also a lot of us unfortunate people who have issues and spend month's trying to figure them out yet have nothing but frustration towards something that costs a lot of $$ and doesn't end up being up to the hype of what we had hoped we were purchasing. That said, my buddy has had a Howell tbi on his truck for 3-4 years now, hasn't had one problem and loves it. I am certain once I figure mine out I will enjoy it as much as he does, just trying to get to that point.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Unplug the battery for 30 min and let it go through a new learn cycle

ChrisC74

I seem to be having the opposite problem with my howell setup that I installed last year. Once it's warmed up if I come to a stop light it will loose rpm's, stumble and cut out. I did the IAC adjustment posted above at Howell's suggestion and it helped a little but hasn't completely resolved my issue.

Your original question being "what do you think of it", I think it's a great kit if you are one of the fortunate people who have no problems out of the box. From all of the research I've done regarding my problem it seems there are also a lot of us unfortunate people who have issues and spend month's trying to figure them out yet have nothing but frustration towards something that costs a lot of $$ and doesn't end up being up to the hype of what we had hoped we were purchasing. That said, my buddy has had a Howell tbi on his truck for 3-4 years now, hasn't had one problem and loves it. I am certain once I figure mine out I will enjoy it as much as he does, just trying to get to that point.
Brupard, I feel your pain and have had a couple of year trial and error process with my Howell install.

I have everything working well with the exception of the exact same problem you are having.

Please let me know the following. When it cuts off, it starts right back up? As it is dying does the exhaust stink? Does it back fire lightly if you dump the throttle going down hill, say as you come into a long sharp curve?

A few months ago I put in a digital air fuel gauge. I have started driving the truck a lot lately. And can tell you the following. Mine does all of the above when I dump the throttle either coming to a stop light or a downhill curve entering my neighborhood.

I have noticed each and EVERYTIME that my gauge goes off the charts lean. And it stays that way until I add throttle or it dies if I am not in a position to add throttle.

I talked to Troy with Howell about it last week. He said he can adjust the no throttle table to make the ratio richer.

I just got my new chip today and am hoping to have a chance to put it in tonight but it may be later in the week.

I will let you know how it goes.

Chris

Last edited:

brupard

Chris - Mine restarts everytime and it backfires coming down a hill exactly as you described. Please let me know if that chip corrects your issue, literally been pulling my hair out for months over this.

ChrisC74

Chris - Mine restarts everytime and it backfires coming down a hill exactly as you described. Please let me know if that chip corrects your issue, literally been pulling my hair out for months over this.

I will send you a PM, or we can start a new thread. I do not want to mess up Bearskinners original post b/c we have a different issue than he does.

-Chris

OP
OP
bearskinner

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
I have had the backfire issue in the past also, but not recently. When it would backfire was usually when I would let off the gas suddenly, kick it in neutral for a stop, or on a steep downhill, just totally letting off the gas. it would pop 2 or 3 times, and one good one. Sometimes it would just stall too, and the check engine light would come on. It threw lean codes. I did find a vacuum leak where the brake booster line entered the grommet from the intake manifold. I have tried to get the idle problem to do something on a regular basis, but it wont. its usually when its been running fine, and my mind is at ease, thinking how good its running. Then I come to a stop, and its idling at 1400rpm or so. Normal idle is around 700, and it usually stays there, throttle response and cable seem fine. The only constant is when the idle stays high, If I stop, turn the key off, and restart it, the idle goes back to correct.

slowRoaner

Loc.
Durango
Just to add a little bit more- both the howell setups that ive personally installed and driven reguarly -had some initial running issues. Its been awhile since theyve given me any issues, but since going through the direct port '88 tbird injection setup on my bronco, they are the same typical fuel injection issues that ive seen on other setups.

So my take on it is set howell up the best you can, by covering the things below first, and then giving them a call. theyve always been super helpfull to me when i call them, and are pretty knowledgable about the ins and outs of their setup and engine principals in general.

Make sure the fuel pump is in the correct location, your fuel lines are the right size and not pinched, fuel filter is rated for the proper flow, ground connections are solid and clean, wires go to correct locations on coils solenoids and computer, timing is proper with vacuum secondary or whatever.... bla bla bla

^^ those are all the things that ive done wrong^^ so not trying to make anyone feel dumb, just saying that it could be something other than the howell setup, and one cant simply rule it to be howell until hes repinned his own computer/harness knowing every wire, and looked into most everything else.

Both howell setups have been flashed to the specifics of the motor i was using as well. Cam shaft, intake, ingnition, compression ratio, heads, exhaust, altitude, rear diff ratio, tranny....etc

So although FI, it still needs the correct flash to run with your setup, since its not a mass air flow setup. Im sure howell has their go to burn on ecms, but you can always do better if you give them everything there is to know about the truck.

What do they charge anyways for a reflash? im guessing 100$ and theyll make it exactly to what you have first try without the need of a piggy back chip. Did they ask for this info the first time you ordered? If not, then maybe they should give you a flash for free, if they want to give good retailer support.

slow