• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Howell Fuel Injection

Mike Hewett

I am leaning towards putting Howell Fuel Injection in my bronco over the mustang set-up in the interest of saving time. I plan on taking the bronco to Colorado in June and need to make the purchase before that time. My question is where is the best place to buy the Howell Fuel Injection? I would also like to know how it will perform in the mountains? Thanks in advance.;D

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You may also look into Affordable Fuel Injection and Megasquirt. Similar systems to the Howell, some say the price is better.

It should do very well in the mountains.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Randy at adventerous4x4.com usually has some killer deals on Howell's systems. They work great on stock and very mildly modified engines..although I have no first-hand knowledge of how well they cope with higher altitudes. Can't be 'too bad'..they are based on stock GM TBI systems and they work at higher altitudes.;)

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I'm have one on my 351w although I haven't started it up yet. Was pretty quick and easy, but personally I am regretting not going with the Ford setup. The stock Ford stuff can be almost as easy to setup and you have the added aspect of Classic Broncos tech support. The Howell setup is not specifically made for Fords and therefore you will have to order the universal V8 kit and figure it out from there. It is easy to setup (not sure on the tuning yet) but now that BC's sells the adapter for the truck lower and car upper to clear a little better I would have gone that way. Just my .02

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
keep an eye on the used market. i saw a holley pro-jection kit used this weekend for $350, complete. i have the guy's number if anybody's interested.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
keep an eye on the used market. i saw a holley pro-jection kit used this weekend for $350, complete. i have the guy's number if anybody's interested.

You have to be careful there..the systems from Howell and Affordable are superior by far to Pro-Jection. Only the newer Commander 950 Holley injection systems are good stuff and they are much more expensive than the $1000 Howell or Affordable FI GM-based TBI retrofit packages.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Problem with aftermarket systems is that they may not be supported as well in the future as adapting the Ford Mustang System. You can also generally get what you need over the counter or even a junk yard.

With the aftermarket you may get stranded somewhere (like a whole vacation in Colorado) waiting for a part to be shipped. Be there done that.

OP
OP
M

Mike Hewett

I can't find the adventerous4x4 website. Is it down or are they out of business? Anyone dealt with West Coast Broncos? I see they advertise in Bronco Driver as to having the Howell systems.

How well does a carb run in the mountains, that is adjusted for Iowa?!

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Problem with aftermarket systems is that they may not be supported as well in the future as adapting the Ford Mustang System. You can also generally get what you need over the counter or even a junk yard.

With the aftermarket you may get stranded somewhere (like a whole vacation in Colorado) waiting for a part to be shipped. Be there done that.

The Howell system is ultimately just Chevy TBI, and therefore parts can be found fairly easy without ordering direct from manufacturer.

Found this one in the for sale section here, may be worth checking out.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99362

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

One of the very good reasons to stick with the Ford EFI..but the Howell and Affordable systems use equally-available stock GM TBI components. The only thing they 'really' do for ya is make their own harnesses and kit everything up with decent instructions..you can just strip the same stuff off a GM vehicle in the junkyard and do it yourself. GM's TBI was great and around for a long time...Ford's short-lived TBI experiment was not so hot.%)

Edit: ha ha..everybody else types faster than I do.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I am leaning towards putting Howell Fuel Injection in my bronco over the mustang set-up in the interest of saving time. I plan on taking the bronco to Colorado in June and need to make the purchase before that time. My question is where is the best place to buy the Howell Fuel Injection? I would also like to know how it will perform in the mountains? Thanks in advance.;D

My brother runs the TUrbo city set up. He has a custom chip for his engine. It works well. He runs it at Big bear every year ( 6k ft ) and it runs as well as my SEFI system.
Tom

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
How well does a carb run in the mountains, that is adjusted for Iowa?!

In a word, terrible. You would have to rejet it to run decent at any kind of altitude.I live in western CO at ~5000 ft. When I ran a carb I had it jetted for 6000'. It ran okay here in town, and ran okay at 10,000+ feet.

I now have the Howell system. It's great. I found it used. When I had questions about the install and wiring the guys at Howell were more than willing to spend time on the phone with me even though I didn't buy it from them. As someone else said it's basically a GM TBI system so you can buy parts at any GM dealership. Since I put the Howell on I've wheeled anywhere from 3000' to 12,000' with no adjustments at all. It runs awesome no matter the altitude (or angle of the truck.) :cool:

wilson

I've run the Howell setup for almost 10 years works great at all altitudes. I also ran the Turbo City setup on an 83 K10, it worked well also, great customer service with both! If rock crawling I advise using intank mounted pump to avoid vapor lock.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
The Howell system is ultimately just Chevy TBI, and therefore parts can be found fairly easy without ordering direct from manufacturer.

Found this one in the for sale section here, may be worth checking out.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99362

I bought this setup, so will see how it goes. It is supposed to have everything I need to install it. I am hoping that I can get it installed and the EB running before the Safari.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
I eventually plan to put FI in my Bronco, either Howell or Ford. In my research I have found that the Howell system works great with stock and close to stock engine applications. Even though Howell can burn the chips for specific applications, these style sytems (both Howell and Ford) are designed for OE motors. I've read of a few problems people have had with a more-than-very-mild aftermarket camshaft. No personal experience, just an FYI.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I eventually plan to put FI in my Bronco, either Howell or Ford. In my research I have found that the Howell system works great with stock and close to stock engine applications. Even though Howell can burn the chips for specific applications, these style sytems (both Howell and Ford) are designed for OE motors. I've read of a few problems people have had with a more-than-very-mild aftermarket camshaft. No personal experience, just an FYI.

I have a mild RV cam, nothing radical, so I am assuming it will work without any problems. I am currently using a 670cfm Holley Truck Avenger, that I jetted down.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I have a mild RV cam, nothing radical, so I am assuming it will work without any problems. I am currently using a 670cfm Holley Truck Avenger, that I jetted down.

Sounds exactly like mine. I too have a mild RV cam, and used a jetted down 670 cfm TA before the Howell. It works great.

See ya in Moab next month. :cool:

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I should have the Howell kit by next week, if it was shipped yesterday as planned. I installed the front 4.88 R&P yesterday, and should have the rear done this weekend. I am adding a P/S cooler and then the howell. Should be done by the end of next week........
When are you heading to Moab, Steve?

acbronco66

Loc.
Alexander City, Al
I am considering the howell system to. I was wondering how much modification have you done to your motor before the install. My motor is not exactly stock so I was wondering will this cause a problem with the control unit. I have a 351w with a mild RV cam flattop pistons and soon a set of GT40 heads.

Ross Baker
Bama Gang

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Ross!

I put a Howell system on a pretty nicely built Chebby 350 for a local fella (I know..*gasp*..let it go:-X ) and it was cammed up pretty good, World heads, 9.5:1 compression..and it ran perfect. The guys at Howell burned the chip right the first time, based only on my engine specs.

-Bill