• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I never done this but would you run a locker in the front only?

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
My Bronco is very close to being done. Daily driver and mild crawler once or twice a month. I have limited slips front and rear now but was thinking of a locker in the front only. What's your opinion on this? Thanks.
Here's a pic of the near completion and a pic of my modified Grand Cherokee and my local wheeling place for the style of wheeling done mostly.

bronco023.jpg

Picture_0595.jpg

The front tire about five feet off the ground. This rig works surprisingly well for what it is.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not if I had a choice. Steering is greatly affected by a front locker when in 4wd as you should be able to tell with the LS your already running. Any problems you have steering now will be worse. Now if your talking about a selectable locker that is defintely doable in the front but I would still perfer to have the rear locked first much easier on steering that way and will get you into a lot more places than the LS will without being in 4wd.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
I'd say if you don't mind wrenching on the wheel, go for the front locker. The front end is what you gets you on/in the obstacle, and then once you've got two pulling from say the top of a hill the rear should come over easy(er). Depends on how you drive. If you come up to a steep gravel hill and the front is locked you're going to lose a lot of fwd traction vs. a rear locker, however if you've got enough power to get the front end past that point it will be better off.

If I had known more about this when my Dad got his rear ARB installed, I would have made him get it in the front. ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I run a true-track in the front and works good off road. Locker in the rear. Good luck with your choice.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

OX1

Bronco Guru
Yes, I am, but my 70 is for street or local mild mud runs only. Running stock LS rear and lock-rite in front. Not too worried about turning the wheel in the mud and for normal street in 2WD, it runs just like stock.

If you running tight "rock" trails, I would not lock the front unless it was selectable. My mog'd 79 has factory mog selectables and it plows like crazy with the front locked (even with the rear open, although it is substantially better with the rear open then with both ends locked).

I also have a 78 beater (offroad only) on 36's that is spooled rear, welded front and has hydro steer, besides having a completely miserable turning circle (which is not that big a deal, most trails in the parks near me are plenty wide enough), it steers and drives fine and thats using a cheap surplus center ram and stock PS pump (with extended fill tube).

73bronco

I welded my front diff and I have no problems with steering. The first 2 times I was out wheeling i was open in the rear and welded up front. My only issue that I HAD was a broken front axle but that was my own fault. No with yukons and superjoints there are no problems. As long as your power steering is good you will be fine. About the only whjeeling I do is in the rocks and my steering is great with the front welded. My buddy even commented saying that my bronco was easier to steer than his j@@p that is still open in the front. My last rbonco had stock P.S. and was fine with the locker up front. I say go for it!! I know a couple of j@@p guys that run only front lockers and they are fine so if a j@@p can do it a bronco can do it 10 times better!!;D ;D ;D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think a rear locker is more functional the a front locker. I have gone places in 2WD and a locker that I was having trouble with when I had the stock posi in both the diffs. Consider that you need the locker when trying to get up something (gravity does a great job getting you down). When going up, the weight shifts to the rear. I have driven some stock vehicles down some trails that would be fun to drive a prepared rig up. (Honda Pilot had almost as much air under a rear tire as the Jeep in the picture above has under the rear)

With that mentioned, a daily driver rock crawler is a hard marriage. There tends to be a lot of compromise. I am not going to say there is anything wrong with a front locker, but I would recomend a selectable. I am not recomending this based on street manors, unlocking the hubs takes care f that. But to balance the rig in terms of traction. You can run a lot in open diff and drive around basicly like you are now. When you need that little extra, it's there. I love being locked at both ends, but making tight turns can be very hard with the front end locked. I really wish the front end could be unlocked when making tight turns. From those pictures, you will want to be able to make tight turns.

godsotherson

All else equal, you will go more places with a front only locker versus a rear only locker. Most competitors only lock the rear when needed.

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
I would say spend the money and get an arb. being able to make tight turns comes in handy in some places. Then if that isnt enough for you put another one in on the other end.
They are pricey but in my opinion they are way worth it.
Good luck on your choice.
JJ-

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As one person mentioned above a front locker only will go more places than a rear locker only will due to the added weight up front so as far as traction the front locker is going to give you more bang for your buck. The exception is when climbing since the weight shifts to the rear axle on steep climbs. It does have the downfall of causing the steering to be more difficult but with a decent power steering setup it should be managable. I ran a Detroit Locker in the front of mine for about 2 years before I broke it and replaced it with an ARB. I would not suggest welding it or putting a full spool in it though unless you are using at least hydraulic assisted steering and even then I would think long and hard about it because it will put a lot of stress on the axles and steering components.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Generally speaking a locker is usually needed most during climbing. So a front locker only may not be the best choice. If you wheeling like in the picture the front locker wont help with the front tire off the ground.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Actually when one tire is off the ground is when the locker will help the most. Both an open carrier and an LS would loose torque to the tire on the ground whereas with a locker it would still be getting traction. Assuming both rear tires are on the ground then they will still be getting torque unless one of them loses traction.