• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Im getting drilled from all my friends and family!

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Wow, i tell or have told my friends and family about stuffing 1 tons under my 69 and caught hell from all of them. the street legal issue is the biggest because of the width. cops around here will pull you over for any damn thing. also, i here them say that it will take away from the look of it. and then came the argument of cost (wheels, tires, radius arms, etc.) so now im on the fence and dont know which way to jump! i dont plan on rock crawling with it, just mudding, hunting and trucking around the mountains. i just liked the 1 tons for the different and cool factor. opinions please! the whole family will read this thread so please post up an opinion and why.

Thanks guys!

John

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Is the D44 and 9" not strong enough for your needs? What are your main reasons for going to 1 tons (besides the cool factor)?

A lot of guys go to 1 tons because its less expensive than building their stock axles to handle what they want to do. I know you want to run 37" tires - is that your main reason for going to 1 tons? Have you driven a Bronco with 37s on the road? Are you comfortable with that much tire or would a 35" tire do the trick for you? 35s would appear to meet most of your needs and wouldn't require 1 tons or crazy backspacing.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I've decided not to go full width on mine.. My reasoning is mainly because I tend to run narrower trails while in the woods and like the benifit of the smaller track. I have a full sized F-150 and want the smaller Bronco, for what it is.. However, when/if I decide to stretch a Bronco, I'll go F/W for the stability. By pushing the wheels outward, you will greatly enhance the street manners of the truck. Plus, you get the added bennifit of the strength for hard core off road use and high Tq engine. As for legality, there are plenty of folks running wide axles/tires and is a non issue.. Ever seen a Hummer?? Depending on local laws, you'll probably have to run large fender flairs.. Tires and wheels, well all 4 will be the same size. Again, non issue, all trucks are running larger tires now and the small (15"s) one's have become harder and more expensive to get..

You've got em and you wanteded em... Put em in YOUR truck!! ;D

Louie

Bronco Guru
Around here...

Tires much outside the flares off-road cool.

Tires much outside the flares on the street not cool.

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I had to tuck my tires in as much as possible. Anything sticking out of wheelwell gives reason for cops to pull you over. 1Tons=cool, getting pulled over= not cool. Keep it stock if you really don't have any reason to go to 1 tons.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
If not rock crawling , don't bother with FW axles. Mud is nowhere near as hard on axles as rocks, so beef up the stockers and call it good. If you've got to have the wider stance throw some good quality wheel spacers on and you'll get the "look". Harder on steering, bearings and ball joints, but a whole lot easier and no fugly mudflaps or flares.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Does your state have street rod tags? In Maryland if you tag it as a street rod the tires can stick out. That's how the Ford Model T buckets get away with no fenders. Historic tags in Md. are for stock/near stock vehicles. That is what a cop said last week when I asked him while he was at our shop.

I have 79 F-350 D60's and I've only had my Bronco out a handfull of times on the trail. A couple times I thought I wouldn't fit between some trees but just climbed one side up and it fit fine :)

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Buy another Bronco. Let your family decide what axles to put under it. Heck, let them pay for it too.
We have mud flap laws but as long as the rig looks decent and isn't kicking rocks and mud on everyone they don't bug you. The cops around here have bigger fish to fry.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Based upon your possible issues with the law and your intended wheeling which doesnt sound like you really need them so I'd just stay with stock width axles. If you really want to go with one tons then have them shortened. Yes added costs but you get what you want. but really the 9in can be built up rather easily and really doesnt cost that much. D44 well it costs a little more to build up but it can be done. If you find yourself breaking things then a upgrade is in order. There's quite a few guys running stock D30's with 35in tires and have yet to break anything. So its really all in how you drive it.
Overall I dont really see 1ton axles as being cool or different. But I can see the need for them in some cases.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Having the Ton's and 40's under mine, I kinda wish I had a 3 1/2" lift with 35's and stock axles just to cruse with. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ton's. They are not the best for street driving and forget having the window down or almost driving if the roads are wet. It's like having 4 fountains that sling water everywhere, down the side of the Bronco, windows, windshield....other people passing you with their window down! Yeah, the other person's window down and me spraying water in at them was kinda funny at the time but would piss a lot of people off if you drove it a lot.

Bottom line is if mine was going to be on the street mostly and trail a little I would have stayed with the stock axles.

David

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I say stick with the D44 and 9inch! Like other have said, based on the type of use that you plan for your Bronco the tons would probably be overkill and cause you more problems than they would be worth!

After a couple of Tickets for the local LAW you will be kicking yourself for spending the money to switch over.

If you are looking for some extra width without going with the tons you might consider wheel spacers on the 10 inch rim? Probably wear things out quicker but would get you some extra width without going extreme and you could easily go back to stock if you wanted!

My 2 cents! ;D