• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

*Important trailer information reminder*

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Guys I can’t stress enough how important trailer maintenance is. I have a new trailer that I built, has a single 7000# axle built by a very reputable builder that used all USA components, including bearings. With about 2500 miles on it one of the hubs were warmer than I liked last trip, not hot just warmer than I liked. I decided with a 3500 mile trip coming up I should pack the wheel bearings. One of the outer bearings was almost dry, it wasn’t damaged yet but was definitely headed down that road, caught it just in time.

We haul our prized possessions on our trailers give them some love!!!!!!

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Was going to put in another thread but it fits hear too. Tires need love too they all have a production date stamped on them. past 5 years you are flirting with danger not just on your trailer but cars and trucks too. The first 2 digits are the week and the last 2 are the year. The pic shows 34th week if 2013 so June 2013 and is due to be replaced. I always look at as what does the damage cost from failure vs cost of replacement. And if it’s your wife and kids what is that worth.

Attachments

• DF725A05-EE92-428F-9F33-0971E22A4697.jpg
    DF725A05-EE92-428F-9F33-0971E22A4697.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 10D1F4AF-C27F-4953-85A6-9DECB4B7145E.jpg
    10D1F4AF-C27F-4953-85A6-9DECB4B7145E.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 72

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the tire date code picture. I do better with a pic!:)

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw in a different thread about Moab that you were going to check your bearings. I looked back at your trailer build thread and thought wow, if he’s checking them this soon I better check mine. I did my bearings about three years ago and used a premium grease. They have been cool to the touch every trip since, so my original thought was don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. Wow, am I glad I checked! My rear axle outer bearings were like yours, not damaged yet but I would have been in a pickle somewhere between SC and Utah. The local parts house over charged me for 4 new seals and i went ahead and packed all the bearings tonight. My original plan was to cut grass since I will be gone for a week, but this was priority one! The grass will be here when I get home. Thanks for putting the thought in my head in that other thread!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
very good reminder. a couple hours ago mine came unhitched from a big dip and jacked the trailer up broke the safety pin some how and came un-hitched:eek: the jack on the trailer got wedged up between the bumper/hitch and radiator. thank god it didn't get into the radiator and the other cooler.
I did get a tpm's to monitor all the tires and temps. so far seems to be doing pretty good.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Dang Skiddy that sucks. Had that happen once with a stamped steel coupler.

I’ve lost hubs a couple of times too. Grease is cheap and easy in the driveway and not the side of the highway after the evacuated tire kills an on coming Honda.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
This is a great thread with excellent advice.
Wondering what normal bearing temps are and when to start getting concerned?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can’t go wrong with bearing buddies, I tow a 25foot boat from ca to either havasu or lake Mohave. It makes it easy to tell if you have to add a little grease

anythingford

Loc.
Dacusville, SC
I lost a wheel bearing on my trailer last weekend coming home from Townsend backing in my driveway, talk about luck. I’m kind of glad it failed. The trailer was just a few minutes from sitting beside the shop until i hooked up and drug it to Moab. We pulled every bearing, cleaned and inspected them and put new bearing where they were needed. I would have greased the bearing before Moab, but I have a new piece of mind now that I know everything is as good as it can be.

Talking about tires, anyone reading this who runs 16 inch Load E tires should look at going to load G tires the next time you buy some. No new tech, just mentioning it in case someone hasn’t heard about them.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
This is a great thread with excellent advice.
Wondering what normal bearing temps are and when to start getting concerned?

I have a two axle car hauling trailer. When I'm towing and stop for fuel, restroom, etc, I make it a point to touch each bearing hub. If one is hotter than the others, that's worthy of further investigation. FYI - if you have brakes on one axle, those hubs will be slightly warmer than the others if you've been using the brakes.

My trailer is just a few months old, but I'm still thinking I should check my bearings before I head out on a road trip on Thursday.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yesssssir, guess I better check, been a couple yrs :)

Guys I can’t stress enough how important trailer maintenance is. I have a new trailer that I built, has a single 7000# axle built by a very reputable builder that used all USA components, including bearings. With about 2500 miles on it one of the hubs were warmer than I liked last trip, not hot just warmer than I liked. I decided with a 3500 mile trip coming up I should pack the wheel bearings. One of the outer bearings was almost dry, it wasn’t damaged yet but was definitely headed down that road, caught it just in time.

We haul our prized possessions on our trailers give them some love!!!!!!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
very good reminder. a couple hours ago mine came unhitched from a big dip and jacked the trailer up broke the safety pin some how and came un-hitched:eek: the jack on the trailer got wedged up between the bumper/hitch and radiator. thank god it didn't get into the radiator and the other cooler.
I did get a tpm's to monitor all the tires and temps. so far seems to be doing pretty good.

Good lord man, you and your luck

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
TU sir, didn't know that...

Was going to put in another thread but it fits hear too. Tires need love too they all have a production date stamped on them. past 5 years you are flirting with danger not just on your trailer but cars and trucks too. The first 2 digits are the week and the last 2 are the year. The pic shows 34th week if 2013 so June 2013 and is due to be replaced. I always look at as what does the damage cost from failure vs cost of replacement. And if it’s your wife and kids what is that worth.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
I bought a cheapo infrared temp gun from Harbor Freight a few years back and usually take when towing longer trips. Keeps the guess work on temps to a minimum. Surprisingly, the bearings don't run much over ambient temperature in the summer from what I've seen. Tire temps can be checked in the same way.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I went over my bearings last night. Hopefully that is something I wont have to worry about for my next trip.
Question: How tight should the castle nut be on the washer/bearing?

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Great thread and reminders. I just shot some grease into the bearing buddies on my boat trailer last night. I'm going walleye fishing tomorrow on the Detroit river. ;) ;) :cool:

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if there's a system that monitors hub temps like a TPMS? Call it a HTMS?

I'm trying to figure out how I can afford a set of 14PRs before OCBR....