• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inch Pound Torque Wrench

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Where does one find such a wrench and in 1/2" drive? I need something that measures from say 5 to 35 inch pounds. I am using this to set the pinion bearing preload on a 9" rear. I need 1/2" drive because the pinion nut is 1.125", huge. I find 1/4" drive wrenches, but no 1/2". I am willing to buy one, just can't find one. I am supposed to set the pinion preload to 25 inch pounds, thus my needed range. What am I missing, should this be so difficult to locate the proper tool? I will do the front Dana 44 in a few months, so figure I will invest in the tools required.

Thank You

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you won't find an inch Lb. torque in 1/2 drive. Also gear builders like dial torque wrenches since you didn't mention if you are looking for dial, click or beam. All the 1/2 drive torque wrenches I've seen start at 10 or 20 Foot Lb. I think I've seen photos of guys using a fishing type scale with a lever in the yoke to measure bearing pre load. I bet if you google that you will get some ideas. Goodluck

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I always used a Craftsman 3/8" beam type torque wrench for setting bearing preload when I was a tech at a dealership. I used a 1/2 adapter to the socket. Not sure with all Sears has going on if you can still find them there though.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Pretty sure both HD & Lowes have 3/8 drive inch pound torque wrenches, I think mine is a Husky/HD.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
You can use a 1/2" male adapter to a 3/8" female end and then use an inch-pound 3/8" torque wrench.

Pops

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
You're not going to find those specifications in a 1/2 drive.

I use a 1/4 inch drive in applications like you're stating with adapters. I suggest getting one with a dial indicator and memory pointer.

Green_Bastard

I use an inch pound digital torque adapter on a bracket that I made that slips on the yoke. Works great.
afd33776481ac9986d5ac85e6a56d716.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I was talking to an A&P mechanic friend about a similar torque wrench situation a while back. He said when you start adding adapters and or extentions it gives the wrench more leverage and can cause incorrect readings. Wondering if anyone else has heard this. I have gears and lockers to install at some point.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When you start using offset crows feet you get errors.

Extensions/adaptors don't really do much. The extensions will load up. I've had as much as half of a turn loading up with long extensions. But there is no change in torque. Input a force, you will get an equal and opposite force. Show me where you loose that force with a straight extension. It would have to go somewhere, show me where this torque is mysterisly lost at. Now an impact wrench, you will loose torque as the impacts will wind up the extension and it will release between impacts. But that is not a steady torque input.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, it is true that extensions will twist and distort and upset the reading, but this is with a long extension at higher torque settings. As soon as the slack is taken out from the adapter and socket the torque reading will be fine. I like the digital set up Green_Bastard made.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Hi, it is true that extensions will twist and distort and upset the reading, but this is with a long extension at higher torque settings. As soon as the slack is taken out from the adapter and socket the torque reading will be fine. I like the digital set up Green_Bastard made.
this true, when I calibrated them at work I messed around with a bunch of different things but really not enough to make a big difference until you get up over 600 ft.lbs.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Extensions or wobblys only effect torque if you do not take reading 90 degrees to plane of nut. In other words if you need to bend the extension over say 20 degrees off axis, you have to do some trig to get an accurate reading. As far as a straight extension, if you induce 40ft/lbs into it, no manner of binding will effect the output. The difference is using a wobbly or angle adapter, it may as a result of binding up in the device, lose some torque through the result of off axis torque flexing/binding.

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
Utica used to make a 1/2" drive dial indicating in/lbs torque wrench. Part # is DA-3600M. I got mine on eBay.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 on if using a inline stacked adapter like 3/8 and step up to 1/2 you are fine. But if you use a "dog bone" flat bar style extension and put it straight out front of the head you change the torque reading.

But if you put it at 90 degree off one way or the other of the head you are fine torque reading wise.

Also just convert the inch lbs to ft lbs and use the one you have. 5 in lbs is 0.42 (1) ft lbs and 35 in lbs is 2.92 (3) ft lbs.