• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner fender, kick panel, door post post

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
It is close, but it is a bit different from the original. Check out the large round hole in the lower kick panel, first pic in post #19 compared to the third pic. The design changed in '68 I think and from the looks of it for the better. Most of the difference is the part hidden behind the fender. I would have bought the 66-67 part (first image), but it is made of thinner metal in Taiwan and it comes in two pieces. Overall I am happy with it and how it fits. I am about ~.25 inches off from front to rear, but I think I can fix that easily enough.

Now to figure out what to paint them with. I have a new can of POR15, but the more I read on here the less I want to use it on the new metal. Suggestions?

Attachments

• door post taiwan.jpg
    door post taiwan.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 16 gauge door post USA.jpg
    16 gauge door post USA.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Inching forward little by little. Repaired the drivers side of the cowl and got my door sorted hung. Now to take it all apart and paint it before welding it back in.

Attachments

• DSC04513.jpg
    DSC04513.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 480
  • cowl repair.jpg
    cowl repair.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 540
  • Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 548

old 71

Looking good William, got some nice repair work going on there. Nice fit on the door keep up the good work.

Dale

Bonco4Broncos

Loc.
Rockingham, NC
I will have to do this same job on my rust bucket some day. I have been pondering on how to line the door post back up. That seems like it would be a PITA to get right.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I measured just about every conceivable angle but I still had to trial and error it a half dozen times. I read a ton of threads on here and that helped a lot too. Sheet metal screws, magic markers, and a beer assistant are required items. I also went ahead a replaced the body bushings while I was at it. That can throw off your original measurements, so be advised.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Made a bit more progress. Got the fenders in, the "best" ones out there. Fitment isn't too bad, but they do have some funky tooling on the lower front portion as seen in the fourth pic. I hammered it out on the drivers side, but I still have some fitment issues there (in pic 6 & 7). I think that is due to some damage from a fender-bender that happened before I owned it. The passenger side fits well. They also have a few dings from shipping (see pic 5), but nothing I can't fix.

Attachments

• driverfenderfit2.jpg
    driverfenderfit2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 390
  • driverfenderfit.jpg
    driverfenderfit.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 409
  • driverfenderdent.jpg
    driverfenderdent.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 408
  • fendertooling.jpg
    fendertooling.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 416
  • driverdoorfit.jpg
    driverdoorfit.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 396
  • driverfender.jpg
    driverfender.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 390
  • passengerfender.jpg
    passengerfender.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 409
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Got everything welded in except the rocker. I'm hoping to have that done this week and then get everything primed/coated. Trying to make sure I have it all caulked as well, but I am sure that I missed some spots. Lots of lessons learned that I'll use on the passenger side. Especially with stuff like weld-able primer, welding in general, and fabrication.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 426
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
"Done" with the driver's side, on to the passenger side. I thought it was in better shape than the drivers side, but it looks to be pretty much the same. Check out the rocker, the PO fiberglassed and bondo'd over that huge rust hole. I am afraid what the rear quarters look like, but it will be another month before I get to those. Oh, and that rocker had about 5 pounds of dirt in it.

Attachments

• passenger1.jpg
    passenger1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 504
  • passenger2.jpg
    passenger2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 460
  • passenger3.jpg
    passenger3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 484
  • passenger4.jpg
    passenger4.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 474
  • passenger_rocker.jpg
    passenger_rocker.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 456
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Slugging away

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 318
  • passenger3.jpg
    passenger3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 293
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Inch by inch, making progress. Learned some lessons on the driver's side. I think the passenger side will look better for that.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 324
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 344
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 345
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 374
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
A lot of very small spot welds while skipping around to different parts of the patch instead of welding in sucession. On this side I also cut out well past the rust so I was dealing with good "thick" metal. I bought a 16ga patch sheet from Lowes, it is working well also. Once I had the patch cut, I used the tire to curve the metal to match the quarter panel. I thought it turned out pretty good for a welding rookie.

mburkhart

Really fantastic work so far. I'm about to begin my first crack at rust repair. The rust damage so far looks remarkably similar to yours too. Would you mind listing some of your equipment (make + model) so I can start making a list? Some of the things I know I'll need are:

drill bits (for spot welds)
MIG
Helmet/gloves/sleeves/apron/etc
Angle grinder
+cutoff wheels
+wire wheels
+grinding wheels

I also noticed the jack you used to hold up the dash while you made repairs to the inner fender/rockers. Did you need to do anything else to support that huge opening to make sure it all went together right?

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Roger:

MIG (I bought Hobart Handler 140, runs on 110v, Tractor Supply is a good retail for all the welding stuff I bought)
75/25 gas (I bought the small bottle, refills run about 25$)
.030 and .024 MIG wire (.024 is a little easier to work with considering my skills and old sheet metal)
Helmet and gloves (auto dimming helmet is great & and buy the really thick gloves)
Welding blanket (keeps you from burning the place down, HF has them)
Spot weld bits (the ones from HF are good, but you'll have to score the center of the weld with a punch to keep it from wondering around)
4.5 angel grinder w/ wire, grinder, cut-off, and 80 grit flapper wheels (the 80 grit flappers are great for smoothing the welds)
Tin snips (get some good ones, not the cheap stuff from Lowes/Home Depot)
Metal working hammers and dollies (I bought a cheap set from Summit)
Good drill w/ cord (cordless won't keep up with all those spot welds)
C-clamps and magnets to hold your work in place while you weld
Sheet or two of 16ga patch panels from Lowes
POR15 or the like to treat what you don't replace
Weld thru primer (Summit has it in small cans that come with an applicator brush)
Body seam caulk (after you weld, clean the seams and caulk it up, both inside and out)
PPE, goes without saying, eye protection, hearing, gloves, mask/air filter (a bristle flew off the wire wheel and stuck in my forehead last weekend!)
And lastly, lots of cold beer!

Last edited:

mburkhart

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Lots there I hadn't thought of yet. I'm going to try not to be frugal and get some good equipment and gear that I can keep and use for future projects.

I tried to get started yesterday by removing a front quarter panel to see what I was working with, but those bolts are really stuck on there. I have no idea how I'm going to get those screws in the door jamb loose. Did you use air tools or something to get those stubborn bolts/screws off, or just lots liquid wrench and elbow grease?

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Most of mine were rusted beyond hope. I did soak all of them for at least a day with WD40 before attempting to remove them. Some of them broke off, but I am replacing pretty much everything so I didn't really care. Vice-grips and an impact driver helps too.

Joe473

PB blaster rust cutter and then an impact driver. Top two came out bottom ones I drilled carefully.