• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installed ruffstuff one ton tie rod

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
finally got time to install the ruff-stuff one ton tie rod conversion. i have a ford full width Dana 60 front and what i think is a 4x4x2 steering box. i moved it to the top of the knuckle from the bottom.

i drilled out my knuckles and used their inserts. that went pretty smooth and i can say after tightening them down and then removing them that the inserts definitely work. i had to drive the tie rod ends out with a hammer.

i used high angle drag link ends on both ends of my drag link because that's how it was setup by the previous owner. i have the cure as well but i didn't install it because i would have to ream the taper a lot deeper than needed to get it to seat all the way. likely due to the fact that i'm using a drag link end instead of a tie rod end on the lower section. i may add it later?

It steers great! like soooooo much better than the stock ford one ton stuff. now my geometry is as close to perfect as it will ever be!

my tie rod is very close to my hand made diff cover. turning right it almost touches and turning left it hits right before the steering stop engages. i think i can clearance my diff cover easy enough. its overly thick and at worst looks like it has plenty of room to bend in before it hits the ring gear.

https://youtu.be/pKps6yBPc44

Attachments

• DSCF1837.jpg
    DSCF1837.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF1838.jpg
    DSCF1838.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 84

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
That's funny, I have the Ruff Stuff 7/8" heim steering above the knuckle on my full width D60. Also the Ruff Stuff diff cover, and my tierod hits just barely, turning left but clears right also. Must be a Ford D60 thing.