• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just finished the front and rear lift!

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
WildHorses 5.5inch lift front and rear.
(Still need shock hoops, shocks, and full spline driveshafts)
I screwed up and put one bolt in backwards. I need to drop the hanger and flip the bolt. Duh. Rookie move.
Here are before and after pics:

Bronco1.jpg

Bronco2.jpg

Bronco3.jpg

Bronco4.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Tits Bro.
Sometimes 5.5" looks too high but it looks perfect on yours!
You should be proud.

OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Thanks guys.
It does have a 2inch body lift as well. I was worried it would be way too high. But I like it. Hoping to do the NV4500 and it needs the body lift I hear.

OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Well, it doesn't have shocks in it. So I have only pulled in and out of the driveway.

It is bouncy! lol

I am going with WildHorses extreme shock hoop. I understand I have to measure the droop and compression to get the right shock length. I thought they would already have that part figured out. Oh well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry about the extra hassle Joker. We do actually know what shocks would "typically" fit your setup, but because of the old "every Bronco is different" thing, and the fact that shipping costs a lot on shocks going both ways, and delays in getting a rig on the road suck, and your needs might be different from the generic sizes, and the Idon'tknowwhereyoulivebutyoucouldbeallthewayacrossthecountrytoboot scenario, we like to get it right the first time. ;D
The results are often worth the wait and the right-the-first-time benefit.

If you needed shocks before you got the weight back on the ground, or find it difficult with your particular setup to run the suspension through it's paces, you would normally default to the WH77005's and 77010's on the front (or RS999005 and RS999010 Ranchos), and 77010/RS999010's in the back, if still using stock mounts.

If you're wanting to go with Bilsteins though, we don't stock a standard 5100 series already set up for that much lift, so you'd go through the same thing with measuring after the fact and then seeing what we can come up with.
If you're thinking of going with the remote reservoir 7100's, we do stock the 14" travel 7100's in the 19.5" compressed and 33.75" extended versions. Here again though, even with 5.5" of suspension lift and non-stock mounts, they may not be the right size for your particular rig. That's a pretty long shock (longer than the others listed), so not for every rig unless you can modify your mounts to fit, or you like to bias yours to gain more droop/extension than compression.

Which shocks are you going with? And will you run duals front and rear, or are you just using the hoops to be able to utilize the taller shocks?

Paul

OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
DirtDonk,
Thanks for the reply. To answer you questions...
I do a lot of slow paced rock crawling and a lot slow desert exploring. Once in a while I like to go fast down a sandy wash. Since I do use the rig on the street, I was looking for options.
Custom mounts are no problem. I MIG, TIG, OXY/FUEL, Plasma......all in my own garage. So I am good with mods. By the way, Lincoln Welders. Go Red!

I want to go with the ultimate hoops so that I can have options. One idea I had was running two shocks on the street and pulling one off for offroading. I realy have no idea what is best.
I thought maybe hydraulic only shocks would be best for my rockcrawling. Maybe Rancho 9000s remote control shocks for on road? I figured I would have to experiment to find what I like best.

My K Bar S coils were stiff as could be. All 4 corners had Yellow shocks on them. I thought they were bilsteins. All 4 shocks were jacked up. loose parts inside sounded like rocks in a coffee can. Some had no gas pressure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a good runner that's going to be set up for all seasons and reasons.

Old yellow shocks could have been Superlift, or (more likely) Rough Country. RC was big on yellow back in the day and might have been what K bar S was using even under their own name.

FYI, all the Rancho RS9000XL models are gas pressurized shocks nowadays. Not sure about the non-XL versions, but the XL is definitely gas. Should still work out well for your uses I would think.
I no longer have an opinion one way or the other about the old gas-vs-hydraulic-only shocks. In the old days most of the off-the-shelf gas shocks rode pretty darn stiff on EB's and I much preferred the non-pressurized shocks. Nowadays they're just as good in many cases and seem to use the pressurized nitrogen to good effect.

I remember back when I used to sell a lot of KYB's Gas-A-Just shocks, the Toyota pickup guys would get a little bonus (for good or ill) where the pressurized shocks would actually lift up the rear of the trucks when the beds were empty.
Kind of an egg-on-face thing after telling a customer that shocks don't lift trucks. They just control the movement,:-[
Low-pressure shocks like Monroes didn't do this, but the KYB and old Mickey Thompson gas shocks were wicked stiff and would actually lift the truck. MT's claimed something like 250psi pressure or so if I remember. They were so stiff we used to have competitions to see who could compress one after the strap was released!

Not sure just how much the gas pressure matters to a heavy truck (guessing not much) but those old little lightweight Toyotas really didn't like them.

Also FYI, there are a few part numbers in the Rancho lineup that are softer valved specifically for aftermarket dual-shock applications. The four that I'm aware of are the 99006, 99008, 99010 and 99012.
Those last two are commonly used in our types of applications.

Paul