• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just picked up an all original, 1 owner, 84k mile '77 this weekend!

Razorbackbronco

I have a longtime friend who texted me last week saying that he worked with a guy who's dad is looking to sell a 77 bronco, so like any other responsible adult that already owns too many Broncos I said no thanks. Yea right, I said where, when and how much?!

Long story short is I meet the man and he tells me it was his father in laws and he ordered it in 'new 77. Says he primarily used it to hunt in and drive in the fields checking cows. Says he gave it to his wife and himself about 10 years ago and that he's selling it because he wants a farm truck. Told me that it prob hadn't filled the gas tank in 5 years. As I walk around it I'm amazed how original it is. Factory spark plugs, factory plug wires with 1977 stamped on each one, dome light even works!

My plan originally was to lift it some, paint it Brittany blue, bigger wheels tires but after I got it I realize this thing needs to stay stock basically the same as it rolled off the ford lot 40 years ago. I'm currently polishing the original dark jade metallic paint and tediously removing the rattle can green paint on the hard top and grill to reveal the original Wimbledon white. He said his father in law thought it was too bright in the deer woods with the white top! Lots of elbow grease in my near future!

It barely would run enough to get on the trailer. After I got it home I took a small test of gas from the tank and it was darker than apple juice. So I drained the tank, rebuilt the carb, changed the plugs and wires(kept the old ones), new distributor cap and rotor. Also found the initial timing was set a 27 degrees so I set it back at 10ish and this thing is purring like a kitten! It is without a doubt the smoothest running bronco I've ever had.

Man it's so cool to find something that has not been changed much in the last 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now tease us like that and no pictures? That just ain't right!!!

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

76b45803352ca3b980a244bccc4768a6.jpg
2bf1e5c434be68a5309de266e4719047.jpg
bbe54ee8519fec9ff3ddd01300c649e9.jpg
f08176fe2d9c303673753f28bc3ecf82.jpg
b1d056a2dee5854ab8cc1c2e22bd9238.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wow nice!, I keep saying the barn finds are over but you proved me wrong.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
24 mpg highway ?:?

Me thinks Ford was drinking some of that apple juice gas...

Cool story though. I bought my '67 from the original owner three years ago. It's amazing how much better they run than the ones that pass through multiple owners over the decades.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is really nice, what a great find and even better friend for giving you the heads up. Looks like they're both keepers. Hope you got the extra-large can of elbow grease! Hopefully the rattle can preserved the Wimbledon white underneath.

Germd

Great find! Love the "estimated cost to drive 15K miles at $0.65/gal." Those were the days. Congrats.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
24 mpg highway ?:?

Me thinks Ford was drinking some of that apple juice gas...

Cool story though. I bought my '67 from the original owner three years ago. It's amazing how much better they run than the ones that pass through multiple owners over the decades.

yeah that really means 12 in the city, 12 in the country lol. you need to leave that truck just like it is, nice find.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

Thanks guys! It came with the stock wheels as well so I sanded them down and put a fresh coat of argent silver and clear on them. Also ordered some L78-15 tires from summit that are supposed to be here today, so hopefully it'll have the factory look and stance.

Also decided to paint the rear flares to match the paint. Both wheels and flares turned out nice, I'm gonna run down to my shop this morning and take a pic of them in my booth