• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Key switch cranks but grounds the ignition

75 Bronco Ranger

Hey guys I am not out of the woods yet. Replaced tumbler cause I lost my key. I can jump the coil and the solenoid and it will fire. Key switch will crank but not fire. Key switch turned to on while running on jumper kills it.

75 bronco w/ 351w and edelbrock dist.

Any easy things to check?

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This should not be the problem, but might as well disconnect the Brown “I” wire from the starter relay/solenoid.
Also disconnect any radio noise suppressors from the positive side of the coil.
Since you’re disconnecting the easy things, might as well disconnect the brake warning lamp circuit down at the brake H-block.
Neither of these should cause your problem, but it can’t hurt to rule them out and keep them out of the loop.

Since you now have a new key and tumbler, it should also be easy enough to remove the ignition switch from the dash. If you do that, then there is no way for it to ground out any of the circuits. At least not through the switch itself.

If it still has the problem, then I would think the fault is within the ignition switch itself.

I guess my first question should’ve been, are you still running the stock of Dura Spark ignition? Or something else?

OP
OP

75 Bronco Ranger

This should not be the problem, but might as well disconnect the Brown “I” wire from the starter relay/solenoid.
Also disconnect any radio noise suppressors from the positive side of the coil.
Since you’re disconnecting the easy things, might as well disconnect the brake warning lamp circuit down at the brake H-block.
Neither of these should cause your problem, but it can’t hurt to rule them out and keep them out of the loop.

Since you now have a new key and tumbler, it should also be easy enough to remove the ignition switch from the dash. If you do that, then there is no way for it to ground out any of the circuits. At least not through the switch itself.

If it still has the problem, then I would think the fault is within the ignition switch itself.

I guess my first question should’ve been, are you still running the stock of Dura Spark ignition? Or something else?
Thanks. The new tumbler turns hard. Would something be bound possibly?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Among a very few others, Okie’s the VIN man here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And otherwise, why are you running the engine with the alternator disconnected?

OP
OP

75 Bronco Ranger

OK will post the VINs on a new thread.

1.. stock wiring.
2. Long story but the top mounting bolt broke.
3. Original to me ( ~ 30yrs.) ignition switch

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
When you turn key switch to RUN, do radio and turn signals work?
Do they work when key switch is in ACC position?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Did you unplug the switch from the harness while working on it? If so make sure the knife blades plugged back together properly. Sometimes if the knife blades miss their female counterparts when you plug em together.