• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED rock lites finally installed

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Yep finished them up last night. Had a little malfunction on my solenoid, but replaced it and all is well. I installed 8 pods with 5LED's in each. One in front of and behind each wheel. As we have discussed, they aren't blow your socks off bright, but I think they'll be sufficient.

RockLite1.jpg

RockLite2.jpg

RockLite3.jpg

RockLite4.jpg

The wierd orange glow in the 3rd pic is my extension cord. I don't know why it bounced like that, but it's probably the camera trying to focus on something. I am pleased with how they turned out and am excited to use them soon!!

J.D.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
TJK74, taking a picture in pitch black is very hard, and so they are a little brighter than the pics show. Maybe 10% or so. There are better lites out there, and they all come with their sacrifices. Mine draw very little power, were fairly inexpensive, and waterproof.

Broncotime, I will see if I can get to that tonight. I made a custom bracket for the front ones out of sheet metal and then just screwed the rocker ones to the inside of the rockerpanel, just above my rock skis.

J.D.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Can you see well enough underneath to say replace a driveline or check the oil in the transfer case? How far out to the sides can you see?

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I do think I could replace a driveline, if I kept track of all my nuts. Checking the oil in the tcase would be easy too, but it'd have to be a finger in the hole and then brough to the light. These LED's are fairly focused on the floor as you can see. But they do have some disperal of light, but some of that is blocked because I wanted them mounted where they would not get crushed by rocks. I would say that the usable light is dispersed about 1' outside of the bronco's rockers. But since there isn't much to block the light towards the inside, they shine almost all the way under the bronco.

J.D.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I got the same ones, not as birght as I wanted, so I will still use my fog light rock lights.
but these small LED's I will place in the engine bay, and under the skid plates where only a little light is needed.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Here's installed pics. Again, I made a custom bracket for the front out of sheet metal and the rest are just screwed it.

Front: Taken from the front
RockLite5.jpg

Front Rocker, taken from underneath
Rocklite6.jpg

Rear rocker, underneath
Rocklite7.jpg

Rear, taken from behind with no bumper
Rocklite8.jpg

They are identical on the other side. I'd liked to have made the mounting a little nicer, but it seems these are pretty solid and they're mostly hidden.

J.D.

H

Heinz_67

Some better pics of JD's lights

I think they do a great job for what JD intended. Just some light to see under the rig without drawing too many amps...

Attachments

• jdled1.jpg
    jdled1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 189
  • jdled2.jpg
    jdled2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37