• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More LED Rock Light Pics (comparison)

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I did a comparison to three different LED lights from SuperBrightLEDs and one from Roundeyes.

All four of the lights were mounted to the bottom of one of my rock slider braces ~26" above the ground. All of them were mounted in the same place and connected directly to a battery with the same length of wire. MY camera (cannon Powershot SD450) was on a tripod and the same settings were used for all four of the shots. I did use a photo program to lighten up the pictures a little bit to make them more along the lines of what they looked like with the naked eye (as usual the pictures are still darker than in person); the same settings for altering the brightness and contrast were used for all four pictures.

Of the four - the SuperBrightLEDs Luxart SBL is the brightest, but it does have a more concentrated focus than the Roundeye Ultimate LED so the light does not disperse as well. The RoundEye Ultimate LED was much more even thoughout the beam and was noticeably wider angled.

With either the SuperBrightLEDs Luxart SBL or the RoundEyes Ultimate LED I could have easliy walked around my garage without running into something and seen well enough to work underneath the Bronco with just the one light on. Due the wider anlge and more even light it would be easier with the RoundEye version, but still doable with the SuperBrightLEDs version.

One thing I have to add is the customer service at Roundeyes was excellent - beyond my expectations!

I was going to get some shots with my walmart specials and six of the roundeyes mounted underneath the Bronco tonight, but my back gave out on me yesterday, so I'll have to postpone that for a while.

So on to the picts:
First is of my mess with the lights on so you know roughly what your looking at:
tn-lights_on.jpg

Then of the SuperBrightLEDs ALM-3
tn-SB_ALM-3.jpg

SuperbrightLEDs ALM-4
tn-SB_ALM-4.jpg

SuperBrightLEDs Luxart SBL
tn-SB_SBL.jpg

RoundEyes Ultimate LED
tn-RE_UL.jpg

Pictures of the lights:
SuperBrightLEDs ALM-3
alm-blk.jpg

SuperBrightLEDs ALM-3
alm-rb.jpg

luxart_sbl.jpg

RoundEyes Ultimate LED
RE_UL-sm.jpg

Attachments

• SB_ALM-3.jpg
    SB_ALM-3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 14
  • SB_ALM-4.jpg
    SB_ALM-4.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 13
  • SB_SBL.jpg
    SB_SBL.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
  • RE_UL.jpg
    RE_UL.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Not only a Puff-Daddy thing, but a night time off road thing deluxe.

Thank You for making this awesome contribution here bsaunder, I will be watching this thread and referring back to it, as will many others.

Good Job and again Thanks !

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Ben,

I posted this on Co4x4 as well, but another comparison of what I did for future reference.
attachment.php

These LED's are very similar to the Superbright ALM-3, but they have 5LEDs in each pod. I got them from ebay and a search for "LED pods" will get you there. The picture shows 8 Pods hooked up.

J.D.

OP
OP
B

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I'll just copy my post from CO4x4 for ease ;D

>>>
prices are listed as each light (and the number that I would want for my wanted light output and coverage)
Superbrightleds Luxart SBL ~$19 (6-8+)
Superbrightleds ALM-4 and ALM-3 ~$7 (>15) & ~$6.50 (>15)
Roundeye's Streetforce Ultimate LED ~$30 (4-6+)

Still to get pics - what's left of my walmart special fog/rock lights ~$7.50 (I ran 6)

Incandecent vs LED - LED will cost more for the same output in most all cases
LEDs - more $$ = more output; at least in the above examples.

It all comes down to how much light you want and how much you're willing to spend. Due to the flatness and water proofing of most of the LEDS, I would be confident they will last longer than my walmart/autozone/checker specials.

Also to answer a PM; To take a guess at the total light output of the SuperBrightLEDs vs the RoundEyes - I think the RoundEyes have more total light output as it is close to being as bright as the superbrightleds directly under the Bronco, but stays that brightness almost to the full 180* dispersion. To contrast, the superbrightleds are advertised at 160* dispersion, but the bright area is only ~80*.

OP
OP
B

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
Will you be setting up a Mass Buy?
I haven't asked RoundEyes if they are interested on one; but it probably could be done. Unfortunalty, someone else will need to do it as I'm not currently carrying them at HBS and with a kid due in July and the Bronco Safari in May; I'm just plain out of bandwidth.

OP
OP
B

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I just figured out how to get a longer exposure from my camera, so I'll get some more pictures tonight that should hopefully show the light output better.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I would like to see a el cheapo rubber "farm" light for comparison to the LED's that was the route I was planning. Care to "enlighten" us? ;D

OP
OP
B

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
bsaunder said:
I just figured out how to get a longer exposure from my camera, so I'll get some more pictures tonight that should hopefully show the light output better.

Got the better pictures:

A before shot again since I forgot exactly where I put the tripod. Also added some measurements. The plasic saw horse is 44" from the center of my rocker skid and the gas can 84" away.
tn-lights_on2.jpg

Then the SuperBrightLEDs ALM-3
tn-SB_ALM-3_2.jpg

SuperbrightLEDs ALM-4
tn-SB_ALM-4_2.jpg

tn-SB_SBL2.jpg

And the RoundEyes Street Force Ultimate LED
tn-RE_UL2.jpg

And links to the same pictures (only 50% larger):
SuperBrightLEDs ALM-3
SuperBrightLEDs ALM-4
RoundEyes StreetForce Ultimate LED

Settings on the camera were iso 400, no flash, long exposure mode at +2 (~1.5 sec), and 2sec auto timer so I wouldn't shake the tripod. No editing of any of the pictures except for size.

OP
OP
B

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Cavalry said:
I would like to see a el cheapo rubber "farm" light for comparison to the LED's that was the route I was planning. Care to "enlighten" us? ;D

Once I get my back to heal up some I'll be putting one of my cheapie fog lights (walmart/autozone/checker specials) under there as a comparison - I'd have to have someone send me a farm light to do that one.

One other great thing about the RoundEye Ultimate LEDs and SuperbrightLED SBL LEDs though - I hooked up 10 of them on my rock light circuit, all on the outlet with the longest run of wire and they worked fine with a 5amp fuse. I left them on for 30 min, so it was no where near 5amps. Supposedly they only draw ~0.35 amps each, but I haven't measured it yet. Compared to a normal 35watt work light at 3.0 amps each and you get a whole less draw on the alternator/battery.