• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lift size help

Big Slim

So my newly acquired bronco has a 2" body lift and the 5.5" springs with 35" tires. this is too much, might not fit into garage in the new house. the 2" BL is for the ZF swap. i am not a huge fan of the BL because of the gap. but i think it will be alot of sheet metal work on the tunnel to lower it to 1" bl or none with that transmission. so i was thinking of going down to a 2.5" or 3.5" lift. i should be able to get the same articulation with these springs? they only sit higher right. obviously the drive line would be less of an angle with lower lift. i had 35s with only 3.5" lift with no rubbing problems. i think i want to stay with 35" tires. so i am leaning towards the 2.5" lift. would = 4.5" and if i can remove 1" out of BL then 3.5" lift should still should fit tires. also may add the doubler to the trans making this a better option for driveshaft angle. not sure on using that yet. any thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree with everything you said. Nothing wrong with planning to go all the way down to 2.5" of lift. Even though the 3.5 would be the more common one, the combination of 2.5 plus 2 should be more than enough for the 35's as you experienced before.
And be a lot easier to get into and a lot easier on the driveline and steering!

You'd need shorter shocks, but even with the 2.5" lift you could leave any trackbar drop bracket and pitman arm that was used with the 5.5 setup. And rear spring shims too if they were used.
Be a much more friendly lift height I think, and articulation will be pretty close because it's not always the springs that are the limiting factor. Trackbar, driveshafts, steering links, shock travel, even overall vehicle weight all play a part.

Good luck. Should be a good result I would think.

Paul

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

ok. looks like my thinking is on the right track. do you happen to know if efi swap needs a BL? i have that waiting to do as well. don't want to end up taking the BL out then have to put it back in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're set on the ZF your choice of EFI has no bearing on the body lift. You need it for the trans, so you just get the bonus of fitting most EFI setups under the hood.
What are you planning regarding the engine? Will it be a 351? Will it be factory EFI or aftermarket? If aftermarket, is it going to be TBI or MPFI?

Basically though, while many induction setups will fit without a body lift, some won't. And some benefit from the body lift even if you can squeak it in without one.
But then again, you don't really have much of a choice for the ZF unless you resort to the tunnel mods.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep the body lift. While the Explorer is one of the higher performing intakes for how low-profile it is, it's still a very tight fit with some awkward modifications if you don't have a body lift.
A 1" lift would be adequate (my '68 is set up that way) but your 2" is already there and you still need as much as possible for the transmission. I say leave well enough alone with the body lift and do something to fill the gaps left between the bumpers and body.
Duff offers roll-pan type fillers, but I personally prefer either raising the bumpers slightly, or customizing the bumpers to be a little taller (a lot of work!).
Or both!

Paul