• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Linking a LUBR

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the help in this thread so far. Here is a list of the parts I ordered to complete the rear 4-link. I'm not sure when I'll start, but when I do, I will keep you updated with my progress.

Capture5_zps04e25fe1.jpg

BanditBronco

That is a sweet spread sheet! Also a little more expensive than I would have anticipated. Hopefully the extra money is worth it and you won't have to modify to many brackets.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
That is a sweet spread sheet! Also a little more expensive than I would have anticipated. Hopefully the extra money is worth it and you won't have to modify to many brackets.

It is more expensive, but I think it will be a nice upgrade when done. It could also be done cheaper if different brackets were purchased and heims were used instead of Johnny Joints.

Digger556

Thanks for all the help in this thread so far. Here is a list of the parts I ordered to complete the rear 4-link. I'm not sure when I'll start, but when I do, I will keep you updated with my progress.

It's looks like I'm too late to have an influence at this point, but did you consider doing a 3-link w/ torque arm? They tend to package better and separate the jobs of the individual links. (trailing links => fore/aft forces only, trackbar => lateral loads only, torque arm => drive/brake torque only) The advantage being you can run soft bushings on trailing links for ride quality and stiff bushings in the track bar for good handling. Bushings/cross-axis ball joints can be used in the torque arm to achieve different torque reaction characteristics.

With a 4-link, you have to compromise because longitudinal setback rates are directly tied to lateral rates. You can't soften fore/aft bushing rates for ride quality without losing cornering responsiveness. This is why OEMs always use a track bar on modern multi-link solid-axle suspensions.

I went this route with mine and would have no issues running this setup on a stock-height rig.

http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?p=62941#p62941

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
It's looks like I'm too late to have an influence at this point, but did you consider doing a 3-link w/ torque arm? They tend to package better and separate the jobs of the individual links. (trailing links => fore/aft forces only, trackbar => lateral loads only, torque arm => drive/brake torque only) The advantage being you can run soft bushings on trailing links for ride quality and stiff bushings in the track bar for good handling. Bushings/cross-axis ball joints can be used in the torque arm to achieve different torque reaction characteristics.

With a 4-link, you have to compromise because longitudinal setback rates are directly tied to lateral rates. You can't soften fore/aft bushing rates for ride quality without losing cornering responsiveness. This is why OEMs always use a track bar on modern multi-link solid-axle suspensions.

I went this route with mine and would have no issues running this setup on a stock-height rig.

http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?p=62941#p62941

Nice looking build!! I will have to defer to someone that understands what you wrote ;D This is new to me so I chose to go with the info that was out there when I was searching and the knowledge of the individuals posting in this thread.

Digger556

Nice looking build!!

Thank you! It has been a long process.

I will have to defer to someone that understands what you wrote ;D This is new to me so I chose to go with the info that was out there when I was searching and the knowledge of the individuals posting in this thread.

I understand. The whole process can be overwhelming. Vehicle dynamics is a complicated beast with many trade-offs along the way. You need to have a clear picture of what you want the final product to be before you start. For most guys, it is an iterative process where you make small changes and adjustments along the way. If you read my build thread from the beginning, you would get an idea of the steps taken along the way.

Good luck with your build!:cool:

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thank you! It has been a long process.

I understand. The whole process can be overwhelming. Vehicle dynamics is a complicated beast with many trade-offs along the way. You need to have a clear picture of what you want the final product to be before you start. For most guys, it is an iterative process where you make small changes and adjustments along the way. If you read my build thread from the beginning, you would get an idea of the steps taken along the way.

Good luck with your build!:cool:

I have to say it again...you build thread is amazing! I thought my wiring was better than most, but yours is a different level of awesome. I will be picking your brain soon ;D

stryder94

Bring this back up lots of good info and got me thinking. I'm looking into building a custom frame about 5" wider, would that help with more triangulation for a rear 4link?