• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

looking for first EB... want uncut/original as possible. what would a fair price be??

fishbronco

hey all.

i'm looking to pick up my first EB. i want one that has uncut fenders, original paint and thats as close to stock as possible. i would like to keep the original paint but get it dialed in to be a DD mechanically. i originally set a budget of 8-10k but am having little luck findind anything decent. i've searched locally (socal) and have found a few that i feel the owners are off on asking price. i do like the tampico 72 thats for sale on this forum but i can't get up there anytime soon.

i did look at one local (if a 2.5 hour drive is local) i liked but the owner won't budge on price...12500. it is all white with the ranger package. the paint is still very good and the body is excellent, no rust at all! the interior (green) is complete but needs a new dash and seats redone. it comes with a new headliner and roll bar in bubble wrap. engine looks all original and runs super quiet. it has what apperars to be an old "duffy" FDB conversion. only bad points are some play in the steering and a slight leak from trans (automatic). from the brief decription does this seem to be a fair deal?

thanks for any input.

joey

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
LOCATION? fatboy on here has a 1970 with 54,000 miles....original

Attachments

• pete.jpg
    pete.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture+1669.jpg
    Picture+1669.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture+1667.jpg
    Picture+1667.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 54

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I got my '73 Ranger 10 years ago, in your price range, but it was cut in the rear and needed a repaint. Aside from those 2 things everything was pretty much the same as when she rolled out of the factory. From your description, $12.5 for a Ranger in such good condition might be an OK deal; seats & dash are easy but I'd look into it to see what's leaking on the trans and check out the steering to see where that play is coming from.

For a mostly rust free and decent running EB I think you should be able to find something in your price range if you keep looking. May not get many options or upgrades, but a solid starting point at least.

If you're wanting good original paint (with accompanying solid/rust free original sheetmetal) & original equipment to be in good to great condition expect to pay more. That's my opinion anyway.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds like an interesting Ranger. Very few were white. Is it the original paint? I assume no exterior stripes? Green "houndstooth" interior? If it's rust free (or very little) and all original I would say it is worth $12.5K. All (well most anyways) Broncos have play in the steering wheel. My 74 Ranger is pretty bad and it has been that way since almost new (been in the family since new). How many miles on it?

OP
OP
F

fishbronco

wow... thanks for the timely responses and links to the broncos for sale!

it is the original paint with no stripes and it does have the "houndstooth interior". i can't remember the exact mileage but i think it had less than 80k.

from the limited responses so far it seems like it might be a fair price.

MattW

Don't forget about smog requirements in California. I think it's '74 for the cutoff year, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
F

fishbronco

fatboy- nice bronco! my uncle worked at plymouth st. for many years.

thanks matt- yeah, want it to be CA smog exempt so it must be 75 or older.

anyone else care to share opinions?

Bradsp8

Try to be patient and if you do your EB will find you.

You sound like me a few years ago when I was looking. It only took me 2 1/2 years to find my rig! I admit I was picky and the EB needed to be local or close enough to examine personally as well as being able to go back for a second look with a good friend who knew much more than I did about vehichles. In 5 minutes he found several things I overlooked and that I used, to some extent, as bargaining power to talk the seller down from asking price.

IMO you should save more money and wait to find one in a slightly higher price range. Be ready to talk about cash, hundred dollar bills, cashiers check, or whatever. Don't bog the deal down by not having finances in order, cash is king. And if you talk him down or find one for less you have a small fund to immediately spend getting things just they way you want them. Believe me you will find things to spend money on....from day one! Tires, brake work, tune up, exhaust, fluid changes, whatever it may be it's going to cost you beyond the purchase price. I actually got hit when I took it in for my first inspection and it failed due to being a 75 and lacking cats. Both of us never keyed into the fact that on model years 75 and later cats are required. The PO had headers and dual exhaust installed by a friend who neglected to install cats as required by law in VA.

They are out there but you'll have to be patient and look hard. It will be even harder to find one that is uncut with original paint. Make a list of must haves and be willing to be flexible to some degree. For example you can only find front disc, power steering, automatic trans, etc... on certain model years unless the PO already did the conversion. You will need to be dilligent and check daily the for sale listings here and other places like JBG, Hemmings, Ebay, Tom's and another good one I think is called classic car trader.

You can also try to find somebody asking 15k who has had it for sale for many months and keep offering them 12.5k and you might just get lucky. Be sure the owner gets to know you a bit, to the point he might cut you a break knowing you're going to take good care of her, keep her uncut, keep her original, bring it by to see him next Summer when you take the top off, etc... Get to know other EB owners and they'll look out for you and turn you on to some good leads. Maybe even give you first dibs if they themselves decide to sell.

Most advertised as rust free are truly not and when you find one that is it's going to cost you more. When you do find it most likely it will be out west in drier climates. Shipping can cost up to 1k also and personally for the kind of money you're talking about spending you shouldn't buy anything you haven't personally gone over with a fine tooth comb, test driven, engaged 4WD, driven 75mph on the interstate, and all that good stuff. Take your nicest car and leave him your keys and trade vehichles for a few hours if he'll allow that. Or see if he'll ride around town with you for several hours to put it through it's paces.

HavaBronco

Loc.
Lake Havasu City
I wasnt even looking when I found mine, bone stock 73 bronco. The only option on it was the trac loc rear end. Uncut with minimal surface rust on the floorboards. I got it for 8,400.00 with 62,000 O.G. miles on it. 302, 3 on the tree. Be patient, you'll find something nice in your price range.

Brawnko

Loc.
Mechanicsville
Make sure you do your homework and look for the common problem areas especially hidden rust. Also, figure out and know the differences in what was available certain years to see if they swapped something out of another bronco over the years. Get the VIN # and match up the paint and trim codes. Know as much as you can researching these threads and the internet. Here are some good links:
http://www.bcbroncos.com/buyertips08.html
http://old.cobronco.org/tech/writeups/buy.htm
http://www.broncohio.com/tech/broncochart.html
http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?p=1089527
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31861

Good luck, I hope you score what you are looking for!

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Don't forget about smog requirements in California. I think it's '74 for the cutoff year, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Currently, '75 and older are smog exempt, so only '76 and '77 Broncos need to be smogged in California.

But it sounds like our new member is looking for a stock Bronco, so the smog check shouldn't be a problem as long as all the smog parts are there.

When I bought my '77, it had been in Colorado for several years and the smog pump had been removed (but saved) along with the catalytic converter. Otherwise, the engine was all stock. The seller agreed to have the smog stuff put back on by his mechanic (it also needed some distributor work), if I'd take care of the cat.

So with everything back on (it actually needed a new EGR valve too -- not a big expense), I just have to get it tested every two years, which is no big deal as long as I make sure the initial timing is set to factory specs.

Modded Broncos are another story, obviously, but for a stocker it's not really an issue to buy a later one. I'm actually glad I ended up with a '77, as I didn't have to add things like the power disc brakes, power steering, etc. Plus I think there seem to be more Rangers in stock condition, especially in the later years.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good luck w/your search, I bet you can find one.. Just be patient as said before.