• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loud metal on metal noise when I climb

Jfeldman702

Loc.
Las Vegas
So whenever I get my 74 on any steep incline or put stress on the front diff, I get a loud metal on metal grinding noise. I've watched YouTube videos of other broncos and every once in awhile ill hear it on one of them as well. I only hear the noise when I hit the gas. Almost sounds like my hubs, I don't know. Any thoughts on what's causing the noise. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Btw, if u give me ur email address ill send you a video of my bronco making the noise as I climb up some rocks.

I have the video on YouTube. Watch and listen to the sqeeling noise and give me your feedback.

http://youtu.be/bSnqZwLBKmU

Last edited:

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
It could be the front driveshaft rubbing on something. Mine sometimes rubs on my crossover exhaust. Anybody available to watch for you when climbing?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not hubs, it may be limited slip diff, my bet is front suspension components: drop bar, springs, links

OP
OP
Jfeldman702

Jfeldman702

Loc.
Las Vegas
I have full air lockers so i don think its a limited slip issue. Ill check the front drive shaft and see if there is any rubbing going on or signs of something contacting it. Thanks

OP
OP
Jfeldman702

Jfeldman702

Loc.
Las Vegas
Checked the u joints. Everything is tight. The whining/metal noise seems to be near the front left. Maybe power steering pump acting crazy when I'm on inclines?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sounds like the fan hitting the shroud to me.....

OP
OP
Jfeldman702

Jfeldman702

Loc.
Las Vegas
Ok, I'll deffinately get in and Check for any rubbing on the fan. There's another longer video and u can hear it on there as well. If u copy the URL u can then find the other video under my user name 702jd74. Thanks again all

OP
OP
Jfeldman702

Jfeldman702

Loc.
Las Vegas
I haven't found anything yet. Fan shroud looked ok. Check out my video on YouTube. SeArch 702jd74 and it will bring up my bronco. You can hear it in the vids when I'm climbing. Noise happens when I hit the gas. Driving me nuts

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
does it make the sound even if you aren't turning the wheel one way or the other? If it's not the PS belt slipping I bet it's the front drive shaft u-joints. try it in 2 wheel with the hubs unlocked and see if it still makes the noise.