• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual to automatic swap transfer shifter question

Retoohstyoh

I have a 71 302 with a 3 on the tree. Im swapping it out for a C4 out of a 75. My transfer is a T shift. The transfer with the C4 is a J shift. Question is, if I mount the T shift on the C4 will it line up with the hole in my floor? Also, are the crossmembers the same on both the T and J shift transfers? Any other tips on this swap would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
R

Retoohstyoh

And while I'm thinking about it. I plan to use the automatic steering column from the 75. Will everything plug right in and work without issues? I'm also not ruling out an aftermarket tilt column.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes, it's all interchangeable. Don't forget to pull the stub shaft and bearing retainer out of the J case. Pilot bearing also needs to come out of the crankshaft. Flexplate bolts are shorter than flywheel bolts. Auto starter is different than manual starter.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
And while I'm thinking about it. I plan to use the automatic steering column from the 75. Will everything plug right in and work without issues? I'm also not ruling out an aftermarket tilt column.
This part is not interchangeable. You'll need to move some wires around.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Transfer case shifter mounts to the transmission adapter between the transfer case and the transmission. the transmission adapter is different between the manual transmission adapter and the automatic adapter. use the j-shift with its proper transmission adapter. Make sure to replace the seal in the input shaft to the transfer case. its a special double lip seal to keep the auto trans fluid from mixing with the oil in the transfer case. make sure to get the right one. normal auto parts places try to sell you a single lip as a crossover part. you really do not want to do that.

with a 71 & 75 swap you will have no driveshaft or tranny mount issues very early Broncos have a Dana/ Spicer driveshaft Yolk issues that need to be swapped but not your year.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I put a '77 C4 in my '68 and everything went right in. The late auto column, radiator and power steering went in with it. I put an automatic 351 at the same time. The T shifter bolted right onto the adapter. The hole in the floor is the same for J and T shifters. Both work on any EB V8 adapter. I just like the T shifter better after many years of driving both. But I could have used either, as I have both transfer cases.