• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mass Buy on Wild Horses "Gear Banger" NP435 shifter by IronBender?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've never shifted with anything like one of these. Just a little curious how it "feels". Does the new shifter pivot side to allow for going from second to third? I guess it would have too. Looking at it, it seems like there would be a lot of slop when when shifting side to side because of it being all stretched out. I'm curious if everything still feels decent. For instance when shifting from second to third, can you still feel where you need to be at in order to avoid overshooting third and sliding over towards reverse. Just trying to visualize what it would be like. I don't know if there is really any way to answer that without actually trying one out though. Thanks, Morgan.

Having sat in Jack's Bronco and shifted through the gears, all of the concerns you mention are a non issue. The shifter is incredibly cool. I want to see pictures of this trail edition too :eek:

claymore_mo

I'm in the St. Louis MO area, so there won't be any tryin' one out. However I'll certainly take your word for it. Not only that, but I'll agree with the sliced bread comment. I love the look of these things. As a matter of fact, after seeing that photo, I can't do without one. ;D

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
OK I'm in.

OK Jack. I've been watching this thread for a while now. Last time you and I corresponded, I was talking about making my own shifter of similar design for my "to be installed" 435. Well the 435 is in now and I've finished the leg work on my design that I started a couple years ago. But since you've come out with the trail version, I've decided that at the mass buy price, between my lack of time and your great quality work, I'd be stupid not to buy one of yours. So...I'm in on the mass buy!

But I do have a couple questions that I haven't seen asked yet:
1. How does the stock shifter need to be cut/modified? I ask this because mine is already bent very close to the shifter tower and I'm concerned that there may not be enough straight steel left to work with depending on your design.
2. Early on, you were concerned that a steel version might pop out of gear due to the weight. Have you researched or addressed this concern yet?

I am REALLY looking forward to the pictures. And right now, I'm shifting with no knob. I wont spend money on a new knob when I know I'll be getting yours (soon I hope). And the threads digging into my hand is starting to get old. So any updated ETA? Who is handling the mass buy? Anyone know how many we have now?

IronBenderII

Jeff, you're going to start competing with me on length of build time. Actually, I think you already have the title. End of the month we'll close the mass buy, 2 weeks later shifters will be delivered.

Alex, your shifter might need a little love. What I've done for others is cut off the stock shifter and weld on a nice new 1/2" shaft. If you want, I can do that for you.

If I took the current design and made it out of steel, yeah I still think that would be an issue. But we changed the design and the new shifter is actually a bit lighter than the original, so no worries there.

I posted up on the mass buy forum yesterday, I'm just waiting for it to get approved. I'll put a list of names of people that are in there.

Jack

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
FYI, I turned this thread into a Mass Buy discussion. If there's enough interest it will probably turn into an official Mass Buy around the end of the week. When it does IronBender or I will post a link here to that new thread with all the purchase details.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
What I've done for others is cut off the stock shifter and weld on a nice new 1/2" shaft. If you want, I can do that for you.

I can cut and weld. How about you just send me a small length of 1/2" rod with the shifter?:cool: Save on shipping back and forth. I'm sure you have some scrap laying around. I'll throw in a couple extra bucks if you need it. Would be worth it for me not to have to go find some.