• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More Steering help Please

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
rebuilt my column shift with new thrust washers and spacer, while I was at it removed the lower steering shaft, which turns out to be some kind of hybrid 2 piece shaft with tulip/bell-shaped coupler at the steering box.

Cleaned up and greased the lower shaft unit, put everything back together and now the entire steering shaft, upper and lower, moves about an inch back and forth. In other words the back and forth movement inside the tulip can be felt at the wheel.

The pic with lower unit removed is before, other pic is after.

There is a groove in the shaft (2nd pic) that looks like it should have a clip on it to keep it behind the lower column bearing? If so does this keep it from moving in EITHER direction?

I believe the column itself to be a 76-77 version...like i said hybrid...I've now named my 72 Frankie because of all the different crap she's made of ?:? any help appreciated -Jeff

Attachments

• 72Column.jpg
    72Column.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 74
  • lowerBearing.jpg
    lowerBearing.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
i believe the problem is one of two clips at the top of the upper shaft, will verify here in a couple hours thanks -Jeff

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
walked outside.
enjoy the horrible cell phone pics, but this is my 77 column.
hard to get the shots as the piece is under the booster bracket and my random cruise control setup is on the fender in front of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 49

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like someone was trying to accomplish the same thing with a "temporary" fix by using a hose clamp to keep the shaft from moving upward.
They probably knew about the clamp from the earlier models, but didn't know what held the '77 in place, or thought the clamp was missing perhaps.
And it might be for all I know, but I don't think I've ever seen a clamp visible outside one of those late model bearing retainers. Could it be inside, under the cover?
I didn't think so, but that thought just occurred to me.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here’s a pic of my ‘77 for reference.
96a475f4183b2738c536da1996c72bcc.jpg

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks Jax & Slowleak, Jax do you have the u-joint style connection at the steering box?

After looking at Slowleak's diagram (via PM) it occurred to me that maybe the clamp was only needed on models with the bell shaped (sloppy) connector, and the u-joint style connector on 76-77 models resolved the need for the clamp?

HOWEVER the fact remains that this was not an issue before I took it apart ?:??:??:?

Attachments

• a4dd6b8c4ad73d62181d2acadb929b46.jpg
    a4dd6b8c4ad73d62181d2acadb929b46.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 26

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Jax & Slowleak, Jax do you have the u-joint style connection at the steering box?

After looking at Slowleak's diagram (via PM) it occurred to me that maybe the clamp was only needed on models with the bell shaped (sloppy) connector, and the u-joint style connector on 76-77 models resolved the need for the clamp?

HOWEVER the fact remains that this was not an issue before I took it apart ?:??:??:?

I'll snap a pick later.
but I believe so.
so maybe someone swapped some parts through the years.