• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang 5.0 engine swap, I got questions

Bigbird

Alright my Bronco brothers. I just picked up a 1990 mustang gt at a great price. I plan on pulling the engine, computer and wire harness, I'm just not sure what all I need to scavenge from the Stang for the swap? Can I use the serpentine setup too? It has shorty headers too. Not sure if they will work. PLEASE share your knowledge.

67 Halfcab

Serp system is Loooong. Go with the Explorer setup. The passenger side header dumps right on the frame rail. Send your ecm to EFI Guy (Garry) and get the capacitors changed out.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you have the space keep the stang until you get the bronco running. That way you still have any small parts you might've missed. Not sure a6the other stuff. Most go for the explorer swap nowadays. With the explorer the front dress works for the bronco but radiator hoses can be tricky.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
You can use the Mustang front dress, but the fan will be about 1/2-3/4" from the Rad. Need a dummy pulley to take the place of the air pump, G2 Alt from the Mustang is junk, Prone to electrical fire because of how the Batt wire is attached. PS pump not much better.

Explorer front dress is the way to go.

Are you keeping the smog stuff?
Who is reworking the Mustang engine harness? Need the O2 sensor harness...
You can reuse the Mustang fuel filter bracket, depending on what you do for the fuel lines. Need the inertia switch and wiring...
There are a few other items depending on what direction you go

suckerpunched

I used the long front dress. modified the core support to move the radiator (ford explorer version) 1" forward. It fits but still pretty darn tight. If I did it again I would probably find the explorer front dress. I also modified the right hand shortie header, to fit.

OP
OP
Bigbird

Bigbird

I do have an Explorer serp set available to me. I planned on reworking the harness myself, just not sure what all to keep out of it. Good call on the Alternator, I'll look into that too.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I do have an Explorer serp set available to me. I planned on reworking the harness myself, just not sure what all to keep out of it. Good call on the Alternator, I'll look into that too.

Use the Explorer serp, solve the length problem and the alternator problem at the same time.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Explorer front dress is the way to go. I didn't I'm hard headed and had another front dress already and made it work. I used a van front dress.

As to the wiring harness....keep it all. Get all the harness you can off the Stang. Don't forget the rear harnesses (trans, O2, VSS, fuel pump) and such. Get the self test connector and wiring too so you can pull codes. BAP sensor on the firewall as I recall. Then you can start laying out the harness and labeling everything. Talk to Garry and get the ECM program established then work the harness to match what he leaves in.

I took out all the emissions related stuff.

Great wiring info here
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Tim

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but sell the mustang, they are still worth a lot of money.
Then go buy a $500 1996 explorer, all those parts are better.

But, with the mustang stuff, you can reuse almost all of it.
I don't like the mustang front dress, I'd rather run the stock V belts, or buy an explorer front dress.
Don't forget about fuel pump.
The headers will work with some work, but it's not really worth it IMO. Run the stock bronco manifolds, or buy a bronco specific header.