• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My LS3/6L80e Engine Swap…..no haters please.🙏

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Looking GOOD!

I put my TermX up there and it fits good but I was concerned about stringing the wiring across to the center of the firewall as I am going to keep the 1 1/2 loops of the TermX harness so until it's running I'm not cutting the harness. :) I would like to see your pics when you get them laid out. Looks good.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Looking GOOD!

I put my TermX up there and it fits good but I was concerned about stringing the wiring across to the center of the firewall as I am going to keep the 1 1/2 loops of the TermX harness so until it's running I'm not cutting the harness. :) I would like to see your pics when you get them laid out. Looks good.
I have a bunch of wiring there as well and I ran the wiring over the brake pedal bracket and some goes into the engine compartment at the same spot and some goes all the way to the pass side where my other panel and ecu are.

These Magdaddy magnetic cable tie mounts REALLY help with that kind of stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFH3Z1H/?tag=classicbroncos-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8O53L0/?tag=classicbroncos-20

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I have a bunch of wiring there as well and I ran the wiring over the brake pedal bracket and some goes into the engine compartment at the same spot and some goes all the way to the pass side where my other panel and ecu are.

These Magdaddy magnetic cable tie mounts REALLY help with that kind of stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFH3Z1H/?tag=classicbroncos-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8O53L0/?tag=classicbroncos-20
That is an awesome solution. What's your thoughts about using that on wiring along the frame to the back of the Bronco? I"ve been thinking about how to improve what I have which is pretty bad.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
That is an awesome solution. What's your thoughts about using that on wiring along the frame to the back of the Bronco? I"ve been thinking about how to improve what I have which is pretty bad.
I had thought about this and thought I might use them there, but I might have one on my AMP Step bracket and that's it.

On the Drivers side, if you route that way, there are slots that fit a zip tie perfectly and tiw the wire wrap to the inside and where there is not, I have seam zip tie clips. I thought I would use more of them than I did...happy to send you a few for postage, but I got them from:

https://www.delcity.net/store/Edge-Clip-Cable-Ties/p_916183.h_916185.r_IF1003

I also got some "low profile" cable ties that are a nice idea but they kinda suck as they don't tighten to the same extent.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Weekend progress……. WIRING & WIRING & WIRING. Also completed the VA under dash hookups and all new gauges and switches on the dash.

Got the dash re-installed and did a trial fit with the new console. Now I need to order a longer shift cable for the Lokar SS Shifter. I’m not sure if the JB twin shift cables are long enough. I haven’t installed the TC case yet.

D166CE9F-DD42-451A-9D43-2046C5458F0D.jpeg
6FC7C1EA-5087-4B6B-AF63-D9BFD4D4ED28.jpeg
1871E6D2-9889-44C0-91CE-661835550AD1.jpeg

nvrstuk

Contributor
Looking good.

You can radius Jon's cables much tighter than the 12" that is "recommended" if that helps ya.

Otherwise I'm not speaking for Jon but I'm sure he can swap ya some longer cables if your's aren't scratched up. Jon & Rhonda are the epitome of excellent customer service. :)

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I REALLY struggled with the cable part and getting it right. Make sure it's correct before you mount your transfer case if you don't have room.

I didn't have enough room to do it after mounting and had to drop it, and I had to make sure it was right and connected and I could shift before mounting it.

I HIGHLY recommend you do that.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Thanks for the feedback. My plan is to order a replacement Lokar cable, and then get it installed before I put the TC in place. The Lokar came with a 4' cable, and it appears I need between 2-3' extra. I'm thinking longer is better so I plan to order the 84" version. I think the JB cable will work, but won't really know unitl I install the TC.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Ben, is this because it's hard to access the 7/8" (wrench size- or close to it) lock nuts and therefore it's hard to adjust the cable lengths?

That's the only problem I have with mounting them up- especially inside a console. I could reach my adjustment nuts but it's tight.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yes, might be easy on a shifter that's just mounted to the floor. There is no space in a console and the way I had Dan make my console is that the two shifters are inline with each other and my Tranny shifter cable got RIGHT THROUGH the middle of the JB D20 shifter so that adds even more tightness. It's PERFECT execution and I love it but I gave myself a ton more work in assembly.

So, I had to adjust everything initially with the shifter out of the console and then was able to do some minor adjust while in but had to connect to the D20 right before lifting it all the way in place.

Maybe also easier with an Atlas or anything else but I also can't remove my cables now that my console is mounted but don't think I'd ever need to.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Summitt is so good to work with. They took back the Lokar shift cable, even though it was part of a kit. They're exchanging my Lokar dipstick cable, even though it was installed (as long as it's not scratched or has oil on it). At the end of the transactions, they owed me money and I get parts that fit. :)

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Just never do an "exchange" with them unless you have to. Buy the part you want and return the one you don't.

I did an exchange for my Dakota Digital Vintage Air controller and it took at least a month. I called and the lady agreed...just return and buy.

nvrstuk

Contributor
When I rerouted my Winters shifter for my 6r from the rear on the trans to routing it in from the front over the top of the bellhousing (never close to sticks, ice, rocks, driveshaft) I went from my 4' long Winters shift cable to an 8ft. It is hard to even see it - even from under the vehicle and is totally out of the way of everything... all this means "long as possible" shift cable is good. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Well, I lost a month of progress due to other priorities……work, daughter move to Nashville, and I’m a volunteer at The Masters. I got back at it for the first time on Sunday. I spent the first 2 hours just trying to figure out what I had completed and where the critical next steps. One thing I’ve learned is to have a daily project plan. It helps me stay focused. I have a real problem with starting several small projects at one time, and slowly making progress instead of completing specific tasks.

On Sunday I completed the WH Ididit steering install including the wiring. I lost an hour trying to fish out a set screw that fell into one of the frame open slots near the steering box.

Once that was done I completed the Boom Mat installation. My Bronco already had a good layer of the heat, but I decided to add the Boom Mat.

After that was completed I did a final test fit of the center console to verify if the twin shift cables would be long enough. It appears that they have plenty of length. The new longer 84” Lokar transmission cable also fits fine.

Finally I started the re-install of my stereo. The only thing I got done was remembering the wiring details and getting the front speakers mounted back into the kick panels (freshly painted).

IMG_0525.jpeg
Next steps are to button up the wiring. My thought is once this is done, reinstall the battery and do a test on all of the electrical. Once that checks out, I’ll reinstall the seats and then finish the engine bay & fuel lines. I’ll then be to the point where I could fire up the “Heart Beat of America”.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Congrats on getting "back to work". :) Looking good!

I have spent 6 weeks on a 5 day job due to some personal things here but got a 1/2 day in yesterday that was the equivalent of 2 weeks of 1 hr here and 20 minutes there for the past 2 weeks!

Here's what really helps me and I have pushed it for years here on CB.

Write on a tablet or write every single step down on a computer (I use email- there are much better notes programs I'm sure) and update it every night. Add handwritten notes to the list as you work during the day and then update and put them in order of needing to be done.

Makes it SUPER easy to just grab your printed out list or look at your daily "Build list" . No wondering where ya were, what should I do next. Some guys have said they use a write board on their shop wall but my list is literally 2 full pages of things to do single spaced. Each night I cross stuff off and add more to it.

Today, my list has 10 things on it for being able to program my Wizard and possibly crank my engine over with new SEFI. I won't have a working throttle cable , no air filter or new cross brace between my strut towers, no pcv setup, etc., etc. but it's all written down and I know what's next.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use a white board. its 4'x4' and sometimes not big enough LOL. Then theres the times I don't pay attention and use a sharpie.... good thing acetone doesn't melt the whatever the plastic is.