• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My new 69 uncut Bronco

OP
OP
R

riverstonefly

Congrats on your new ride. You can almost bet a bug deflector installed like that could be a sign the rig could have been treated well.

Hwy 101 would be a great trip home.
yes sir

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

riverstonefly

very nice,

Very curious how the ride is with a 170 in it. I am rebuilding a 69 with the original 170 in it, and unfortunately when I picked mine up it never turned on so I never heard what mine sounds like but I cant wait to find out when I am finished fixing it. Anyways was curious if the 170 bronco can handle the highway? does it scream at 65? Or should I start looking for a 302 now while I have it down to the frame.
thanks.

Looks fun
Well not sure what rear end I have yet but it seemed to top out at 55-60mph, definitely not a speed demon however we did average roughly 17mpg

OP
OP
R

riverstonefly

Home and in the garage
f97a3520206c66662a8ac4b99f5a9905.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Generally, a six cylinder EB would have come from the factory with either 4.11 or 4.56 differential gearing. Great starting point for most of us!

Screaming is relative. The gearing and tire size dictate the rpm at any given road speed, no matter what engine is motivating it. But some sixes don't like revving up, that's for sure. Not sure what a good-running 170 likes to see, rpm-wise, but if it can spin up to 4500-5000 rpm like many non-diesel American engines could, then you can run just about any normal speed with it.
The V8's certainly get there sooner, and feel stronger throughout the rpm range generally. But as you found, at a relaxing pace and no big stressing out about speed, it can get the job done.

Not only actual engine speed, but muffler design, tire tread type and wear, and engine accessories (fans especially) all conspire together to make it sound like it's screaming down the road at higher rpm than it is sometimes.

What are 170's happy at anyway?
And what size tires are those? Look like 31's, but I suppose they could be 30's as well. Great looking Bronco for sure. Love the stance, and like many here I'm sure, the overall adventure-rig/rock hound look, like so many had back when this one was new.

Have lots of fun with it, and enjoy the waves, thumbs-up, and conversations at gas stations.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sure is a nice clean rig.. Glad you are enjoying it

chuckyb

Contributor
Congratulations on the nice rig, and cool Datsun Z, too! Great to see a 170 powering the trip!

OP
OP
R

riverstonefly

very nice,

Very curious how the ride is with a 170 in it. I am rebuilding a 69 with the original 170 in it, and unfortunately when I picked mine up it never turned on so I never heard what mine sounds like but I cant wait to find out when I am finished fixing it. Anyways was curious if the 170 bronco can handle the highway? does it scream at 65? Or should I start looking for a 302 now while I have it down to the frame.
thanks.

Looks fun
No problem cruising 70mph now without the rack and accessories.

https://youtu.be/s-uGgdbWHIo

OP
OP
R

riverstonefly

Congratulations on the nice rig, and cool Datsun Z, too! Great to see a 170 powering the trip!
appreciate it amigo, oh and I've had a few Z's just recently sold my 73 240Z to free up the cash to buy the Bronco.

8a877785950503661501e33a5c816642.jpg