• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need advice from veteren bronco owners

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
Hi all. I have two broncos. My first bronco is a 73 Ranger with uncut front. I originaly purchesed it to convert it to a Trail Rig. After owning it for a while and meeting other bronco people, I was told it would be better to sell the 73 and with the $$$ buy a less pretty one to turn into a trail rig. I bought my 71 with the intention of selling the 73. In the process I decided to keep the 73 as a good looking daily driver and use the 71 as a trail rig. I might have messed up though. I cut one of the 73's rockers off. I have a few options. Do I try to weld it back? Do I leave it cut and do the other side? If I cut the other side should I bite the bullet and cut the front fenders? I just did some trading and got some 1/4" bc rock skis. Should I try and install the rock skis on the 73 and make it look like it still has a rocker on that one side? I installed a 2" body lift on it and have a 2" suspension that I will be installing when I get around to it. I like the cut rocker look and uncut. The reason I cut it in the first place was to get rid of the bondo/rust. I hope this makes since.Thanks for any advice.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
You can buy replacement rocker panel sheet metal. Before you do any more cutting get the replacements, and use them to repair the 73.
Tom

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
cutting the front is not such a big deal. the fenders just bolt on and can be replaced easily. when people make a big deal about uncut, its the back.

if you have a sweet unrusted body, it would be a shame to bang it all up on the trail, but nothing on these suckers is un doable. its your truck you should do what you want with it. if you like it without rockers pull em. if you want a trail rig, build it as one. if you have the cash, you could have a nice street bronco and a good trail rig.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rock skis wont look or mount right without the rocker panel. What I would do is replace the rocker completely the right way and then add the ski. If you are in a wet area you need to really cover the bare metal as you don't want rust under a ski either.

Or... look at some of the rigs wiout rockers that have added square tube and go that way. You are at a fork in the road.

Jeff in AZ

OP
OP
M

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
I never mentioned the 71. That is the trail rig. 35"baja claws. 31spline 9" with ARB, D44 w/ warn axles and ARB, 4wheel disc. 351w (in the process of MAF EFI conversion), WH lift w/ extream front hoops, Cross enterprise inboard rear hoop, wristed rad arm, on-board air (in progress), just installed a 435..... I don't have tons of $$$$ but I do plan on using the 73 as a sweet daily driver and the 71 as a trail rig. I have a 79 that I bought for parts. It has a 460. I thought about putting the 460 in the 73 and using it to trailer the 71. Does anyone have cut rockers and uncut front fenders?

OP
OP
M

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
I have found it to be really cool having two broncos. Every time I upgrade the 71, the 73 gets the old parts. I am going to be putting a full width hp d44 and full width 9" in the 71 so the 73 is getting some warn axles for the front, and 31 spline dutchmans for the rear.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think you've pretty much answered your own question keep the 73 put the rocker back on and you'll have a nice street rig sounds like the 71 is the real trail rig. I've pretty much got the same thing just swapped around but I think my 71 will be left on the stock side and my 73 more on the trail side as the 73 is more built and bashed than the 71. I cant think of a better deal because my 71 gets all the hand me downs