• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need exhaust-Is single exhaust a good idea?

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I had a u joint go south on the trail rig yesterday. Got it all put back together. Thank god for the twin stick or I would have had to left it in a bad part of town.

Anyway, The driveshaft beat up my exhaust pretty bad. It doesn't upset me to much since I bought the rig with dual exhaust that was all pieced together and already leaking in several places.

It seems to me that a single exhaust would be less likely to get crushed, bent or snagged. I know dual would allow the engine to breath better but I don't need to go any faster than normal traffic. Seems single would be cheaper too. Am I overthinking this? Opinions welcome. :)

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
I think I'm going to go to a single exhaust off of the headers. I want to run it over the frame and out behind the doors and just don't want to deal with all the pipes and crushing them. I think a 3" would work at the collector of the two tail pipes. Any opinions on this?

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
How about recommendations on diameter of exhaust pipes and then when the two come together? I have sefi and small a$$ exhaust so I think I would need 2 1/2" then 3 when the pipes come together. Sound good? any help?

Sorry kinda just butting into this post, hope you don't mind SACHEM ;D

Just trying to help both of us out

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have duals and when the next time comes around I will have a single set up installed, 2.5" should be good all the way.

Duals make lots of heat and get in the way of routing other items under the EB.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool: :cool: :cool: Duals have been around longer than me I have them and would not be any other way. I run wheel well and have had no problems I can change a trans and not touch the exhaust for me the only way to fly. But its your toy do it your way good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill %) :cool: :p

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Go dual to single. I ran duals for 14 years and just switched to a dual to single set up and I am stoked with it. cleaned up the undernieth and greatly simplified things. As far as power goes a properly set up dual into single is equal to and most times better than duals. I'm running 2-1/2" all the way out on a built 351W and it works awesome!

Attachments

• Front Welded lr.jpg
    Front Welded lr.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Tail4.jpg
    Tail4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Exit2.jpg
    Exit2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 55
  • From Headers lr.jpg
    From Headers lr.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 95

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
TJK74, you did an awesome job on that man. I've been contemplating on which way to go on my exhaust as well. Still a long ways off though so I better save this thread... ;D

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
77TexasBronc said:
TJK74, you did an awesome job on that man. I've been contemplating on which way to go on my exhaust as well. Still a long ways off though so I better save this thread... ;D

77TexasBronc thanks for the complements check out this thread it gives a complete rundown on my set up. All I can say is from now on I'm doing all my own exhaust set ups.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59099&highlight=spintech

OP
OP
SACHEM

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
Thanks for the insight into this. Usually my posts drop like a stone. I think I'll be going duals into single but it doesn't look like I'll be getting it any cheaper. ;)

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
SACHEM said:
Thanks for the insight into this. Usually my posts drop like a stone. I think I'll be going duals into single but it doesn't look like I'll be getting it any cheaper. ;)

I think you'll be real happy with the outcome, If your going to have a shop do it let them know you want to be there to supervise that way tou can have everthing run the way you want. If your planning on doing it yourself take your time and creat a masterpiece and have fun with it ;D

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
Mine is also due for a new exhaust. I've been weighing the pros and cons of both systems. The biggest con for the single exhaust is that its harder to drop the transmission and transfer case. I've decided to go with single and address the above issue, by using a couple of V-band clamps to remove the section of exhaust that gets in the way. This way I can undo two bolts and drop the piece out of the way, which should give more room to work than a dual setup. My second issue was that I like the sound of duals but anything will be a major improvement over what it sounds like now %)

Oh and the V-bands are stainless and do not require a gasket evey time they are undone.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
RIbronco said:
Mine is also due for a new exhaust. I've been weighing the pros and cons of both systems. The biggest con for the single exhaust is that its harder to drop the transmission and transfer case. I've decided to go with single and address the above issue, by using a couple of V-band clamps to remove the section of exhaust that gets in the way. This way I can undo two bolts and drop the piece out of the way, which should give more room to work than a dual setup. My second issue was that I like the sound of duals but anything will be a major improvement over what it sounds like now %)

Oh and the V-bands are stainless and do not require a gasket evey time they are undone.

How often are you planning on dropping the tranny and t-case? ;D
Either set up you usually have to drop the exhaust since the pipes run directly under the t-case crossmember. (I have always dropped mine as a complete unit) On my set up I just added an additional Collector ro the rear section so it can come of in 2 pieces. I've had my set up on and off already 5 or so times between making little mods here and there. It takes all of 10-15mins to bolt up or unbolt. I'm running the Dead Soft aluminum collector gaskets, haven't had a leak yet and they work like a champ and don't need to be replaced when pulled apart and put back together.

Attachments

• Tail1.jpg
    Tail1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 49

svens70

Loc.
Oregon, IL
I am running 2-2" into 1-3". I fabbed some piece to go from my manifolds to a collector I bought from Jegs or Summit and run a 3" straight pipe tucked up next to my floorboard, inside the frame into a Flowmaster 40, then a turndown into the right side wheel well area. From the side you can't even see the exhaust and I could drop the tranny and t-case without even touching it since it runs over and to the side of them. ;D It does help that I have a 2"BL that creates more space, but my main goal was to hide it from rocks, logs, stumps, etc. All the dual setups I've seen hang down below the framerails.

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
TJK74 said:
How often are you planning on dropping the tranny and t-case? ;D
Either set up you usually have to drop the exhaust since the pipes run directly under the t-case crossmember. (I have always dropped mine as a complete unit) On my set up I just added an additional Collector ro the rear section so it can come of in 2 pieces. I've had my set up on and off already 5 or so times between making little mods here and there. It takes all of 10-15mins to bolt up or unbolt. I'm running the Dead Soft aluminum collector gaskets, haven't had a leak yet and they work like a champ and don't need to be replaced when pulled apart and put back together.

Oops meant three, my thoughts were a little jumbled. One after each collector, I'll probably be using mustang shorties so unbolting at the collector is a bit of a pain, and one before the muffler. This will drop the Y pipe and not effect the rest of the exhaust. That was the idea that I was trying to contibute to the tread. The collector style flanges would work for this as well, I though they needed new gaskets every time. If the dead soft metal gaskes work, great. They are probably much less expansive than the V-bands.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
RIbronco said:
Oops meant three, my thoughts were a little jumbled. One after each collector, I'll probably be using mustang shorties so unbolting at the collector is a bit of a pain, and one before the muffler. This will drop the Y pipe and not effect the rest of the exhaust. That was the idea that I was trying to contibute to the tread. The collector style flanges would work for this as well, I though they needed new gaskets every time. If the dead soft metal gaskes work, great. They are probably much less expansive than the V-bands.

Ok I see what your thinking now!. I'm running long tubes so the collectors are right there and easy to access. The dead soft aluminums are like $10 from summit for a set of 2. Not to bad in price and yep they are reusable unlike traditional collector seals.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I'll vouch for TJK74's exhaust system. Looks great, sounds great. Mine is similar: 2.5" tubes into Spintech muffler, mine is 3" out the back. I added a resonator to kill some of the harshness at wide open throttle. If you have a welder and some patience, make your own. It's a neat project.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
WHen I changed trannys last time I had to cut the pipe and I had thenm add a collector flange about even with the X member, its very handy.
Im runnin EFI but stock manifolds