• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help: Fuel Delivery (solved)

whmoorejr

Eventually going to EFI, so my fuel delivery is a hybrid at the moment.
24G Aftermarket Tank
BC LP Pump at tank
BC Accumulator under hood.
Accumulator -> Carb + Return to tank.

above 3k RPM, it starts to bog down... like I'm running out of fuel.

Who else has the BC LP Pump? Does it make a funny ticking / tapping noise? If so, cool, if not... crap pump?

Recently rebuilt carb. Adjust floats to spec, no change.

Changed out spark related stuff (Coil, Plugs, Cap, Rotor) no change

Could it be the accumulator? To much pressure avoiding the carb and going back to the tank?

If I plug the return line, will I kill the LP Pump or f-up something in the carb?

Is there a pressure / line restrictor do-dad out there I could put on the return line?

Arrg.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Personally, I wouldn't think that the pump would be damages running without a return line. At least temporarily.
However, I know things change, so maybe a call to Chuck might get the answer if you don't get it here.

Wish I knew more about the accumulator. It doesn't take much pressure to work the carb (typically 2 to 7 psi), but it can still take some volume. Maybe the setup just isn't delivering it. Is the return line smaller than the main feed? Are the lines part of a "kit" too? Or did you get the components and have to put it all together?

What about other filters in-line? Anything older that might be clogged already?

Paul

OP
OP
whmoorejr

whmoorejr

I picked up a backup cheep LP Pump from AutoZone. (Just in case I mess the BC LP Pump up) I blocked off the return line and put a pressure gague on it. Steady 5.5psi (Key on, engine off and when running) Drove it around last night and this morning... so far, running great.

DD, to answer your ?, I'm running 5/16 LP Rubber line Tank -> LP Pump -> Accumulator -> Return. 5/16 EFI Line Accumulator -> Carb (later will be to rail)

Summary: I think I fixed it. I'll know for sure if my fuel pump explodes/dies/etc.

I'm thinking the path of least resistance was the return line... insufficient volume to the carb. With a HP Pump, there would be a vacuum created between the HP pump and the accumulator (Creating a new path of least resistance).