• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help Identifying Holly and Choke cover

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Hi friends I recently bought a 351w to use in my EB
The 351w comes from a 1978 Ford Econoline.
Now I need to Id the Carburetor so I can buy a new Choke Cover.
As you can see on one of the photos the spring holder is broken inside the cover.

Do you perhaps know that part number?

The choke it self on the carb is quiet stiff and I can not but it on by hand. Is it suppose to be that way?

THX

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Geiri, sounds like a nice setup. Did you put the pictures in your garage? I can't see them here but you can't post pictures directly unless you're a contributor for $12 a year. Or you can host them on another site and link them to your posting. But short of becoming a contributor, the easiest is to put it in your garage or a gallery.
If you already did that, great. I just can't see it on my phone so I'll check it out later when I get back to the computer.

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Hey Geiri, sounds like a nice setup. Did you put the pictures in your garage? I can't see them here but you can't post pictures directly unless you're a contributor for $12 a year. Or you can host them on another site and link them to your posting. But short of becoming a contributor, the easiest is to put it in your garage or a gallery.
If you already did that, great. I just can't see it on my phone so I'll check it out later when I get back to the computer.

I just Contacted Jon and subscribed :) Thank you for pointing that out to me.

That is an easy swap and a good way to get number 2 started Bronco started.

Yes I uploaded some photos. Let's hope they will be visible.
Thank you :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! Thanks for supporting the site and for uploading pics. Interesting carb for sure. Not sure, but I think I may have seen one at some point in the past similar, but have no real knowledge of them.
Are there numbers stamped into the body either down at the base mounting flange, or up along the choke/air horn area? Might have to clean it a little more to see them, as they're usually pretty shallow and may have filled up over the years.

As for the stiffness, no it should not be stiff, but yes it should be locked in place by the linkage so you do have to roll the throttle lever back a bit. Open up the throttle and the choke linkage releases and you should be able to maneuver the choke plate open and closed very easily.
If you do that and it's still really stiff, then it's jammed up on something, or the rod that it pivots on is corroded and locked into the holes.

Good luck. There are a few Holley experts here and hopefully someone has an answer on the choke housing. It's likely just a standard Holley choke cover/housing, but I don't know if they changed over the years or not.
Be nice if they were all the same. But that would be too easy!

Paul

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe the numbers are stamped on the baseplate on an Autolite carb, Holley number to ID would be the ones on the air horn. I can see it on your first picture but too far away to read it. Look at the number straight up from the "Y" at end of Holley on the air horn. Should say LIST - 4180 or some such.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The choke thermostat cover is common with most any Holley 4150, 4160, or 2300. There's nothing special about it. The 2300 it came off is an economy 2300 that Ford had Holley build as replacements for 2150 Motorcrafts and variable venturi Motorcrafts. The VV replacement Holleys had the linkage arm for AOD transmissions. There were dozens of specific models. If one was list #4180 I don't know but odds are it's not. They all had choke hot air hook up and fuel inlet that matches the Motorcraft 2150s. They also had wagon wheel booster venturis. They actually got good MPGs.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That first picture. Driver's side of the choke tower. I can see the markings. Just not clear enough to read them. They will tell most everything about that carb.

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
That first picture. Driver's side of the choke tower. I can see the markings. Just not clear enough to read them. They will tell most everything about that carb.

That number reads List 7508-1
(Lower number is) 3387

After some google time I think this is the Holley 2300
Now the question is could I replace the original thermo choke with and electric cap?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If all the heat plumbing is there and hooked up, just fix what you have.
If the heat plumbing is jacked up, electric is a way around it.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
As I pointed out, the carburetor is a 2300. The List#7508 and 7509 were the first of the 2300 economy models. These are also emissions carbs with reverse idle mixture adjusting screws. A rebuilding kit will walk you through all the adjustments and that carb definitely needs a cleaning and rebuilding.