• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help With Electrical Gremlins

TAWL_BOY

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Friendswood, TX
My 73 has been running great. I was fortunate to have a fairly unmolested factory wiring harness.

I pulled out my factory dash to have my cage done and go with a BC dash.
I drove drove to the guy who help me with my cage's house(over an hour away) with no dash or instrument cluster with no issues.

Several days later, when I went to pick it up, it fired right up. Then I pulled the headlight switch and it died. The key wouldn't anything.

I checked the fuses, and finally used a jumper wire off the starter solenoid and was able to get it cranked and make the drive home.

Last night it happened again(still have the dash and cluster out) I was getting my stereo wiring lined out. I fired it up and it ran fine while I was tuning my stereo, then I pulled the headlight switch and it died.
With the key in accessory, I get accessory power.
But in on, nothing.

Help! The OCBR is days away.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Make sure the bullet connector is tight in the 10g wire that goes through the ammeter loop.

OP
OP
TAWL_BOY

TAWL_BOY

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Friendswood, TX
It's funny. The Bronco spent the night outside the garage and it started right up the next morning.

Even before you posted up, I pulled the ammeter wire loose and plugged it back in and wiggled it some. It hasn't happened again.

Thanks for the help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it looked a bit rusty at all, pull it apart and put it back together a few more times to break more through the crust. Or better yet, take some wire brush or sand paper to it for good measure.

It's your main pipeline for power to the entire rig. Literally everything.

Paul

OP
OP
TAWL_BOY

TAWL_BOY

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Friendswood, TX
Thanks again.

After the OCBR, I'm gonna go 1 wire 3G and a modern fuse box.
Along with a long list of other stuff.