• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need info. rear disk off of a 74 lincoln complete diff.

egom

Loc.
El Paso
I would like info for past thread or your opinion as to what's my best option with this diff.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You may want to use the rear discs but there are other swaps out there now that are better candidates. I wouldn't use any of the rest of the axle/diff myself.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
E

egom

Loc.
El Paso
i haven't bought the diff yet if I do do I use the brace that is welded to the diff or do I make a new one. this one comes with an e brake set up. Is it a 5 on 51/2 like the broncos. what other set ups are their to consider. thanks

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used that set up on my first bronco just the brakes and it bolted on andworked great . I knew some Lincolns had 5 x 5.5 but most are 5x5
I had a 76 large bearing axle and the Caliper brackets bolted on. Not sure about other axle s

512cadillac

continental rear disc brakes

I had a set that I used on a 55 chevy project. The brackets are very heavy duty and worked well, the rotors are directional, in my opinion the parking brake didn't work that well. If you are looking for a set, I have the brackets, calipers (for rebuild or cores) and dust covers. No rotors, but I would make you a good deal on what I have if you are interested.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm still running that setup on my Bronco. As was said, the parking brake is crap just like the caddy calipers. The calipers interfere with the stock rear shock mounts, so you need to make a new mount or swap the calipers side to side. If you swap them side to side, it makes it even more difficult to hook up the parking brake.

The caliper mounting brackets double as the bearing retainer, so you either have to have the bearings pressed off to install the bracket or notch them to slide over. The rotors won't fit over stock axle flanges, so you need to have the flanges turned down. As was said, the Lincoln is 5x5 bolt pattern, so you need to have the rotors re-drilled to 5x5.5 pattern.

Quite a bit of work for little gain. I plan on ditching mine one of these days and just going back to the stock 11" drums.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
'75 Lincolns have a 5x5" period. That's all '75 Lincolns. Broncos have 5x5.5" lug pattern. They are not compatible. The axles are too long. The disc brake calipers are worth saving.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And if that is the disk brake that I am thinking of, they weigh something like 100 Lbs per wheel. It is amazing that they could find a way to pack that much iron into a brake system. And I don't mean in a good way, like huge rotors. The bad way, massive brackets.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Here's what you're looking for.

I'm not sure if this is what Tim is thinking of in the post above, but I'm running this setup inside a set of 15" slot mags and the only clearance issue I had was the calipers scraped off a few of the lead balancing weights that were stuck to the inside of the rim.

Attachments

• IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 26