• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need online L9 grade 9 source. I need to be able to buy small qty.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Need an online F911 or if not an L9 Grade 9 bolt source. I can not get some of the sizes locally and online I have to buy 100ct at a time on some. Anyone have a source that will sell per item or small qty minimum? I need the specific sizes below. Thanks..Mo in Clovis CA

1) 9/16" 18 pitch 4"-4 1/2" long, I need 4
2) 9/16" 18 pitch 6" long, I need 8
3) 5/8" 18 pitch 4 1/2 long, I need 4

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Thank's guys Poly had at least the smaller of the 2 sizes I needed. As usual I am going overkill but that's my nature. Fastnel was no help and MCmaster did not show any 9/16' at all. Still trying to find some 9/16" that are at least 6" long though and no help. poly is closed till Monday I will call to see if they have any clue and to see if they carry 5/8" as well...... Mo

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I call Fastenal and if they don't have it they get it in for me and call me back to come pick it up. :D

Amac70

ME
your fastenal must be better then the ones around here. The ones around here are clue less. worse then going into an autozone.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I buy 90% of the hardware for my business through a local industrial fastener supplier, Cascade Nut & Bolt. They have a page of Grade 9 hex head fasteners on their website here if you're interested.

Have you considered using an alloy steel socket head cap screw instead? They tend to be equivalent to a Grade 9 hex heads, 180 ksi minimum tensile strength up to 1/2" diameters and 170 ksi minimum for 5/8" or larger...9/16 seems to fall between the cracks.

Without more information with respect to what you're working on, I'm not sure if this would be an option, however M14 is comparable to 9/16 within a few thousands of an inch, so as long as you don't need a specific thread pitch, might be an option. Similarly, M16 is equivalent to 5/8". Metric options might give you more to choose from, just be sure you're looking for Class 12.9 hardware to be comparable to Grade 9.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Thanks all for the info. We have no Fastnel locally that I know of. I had considered the metric route but, decided no, just for no other reason than I want everything on it to be standard. Hell I really don't even need to upgrade, but I am just because. The 9/16" x 4-4.5" are for the new transfercase poly mounts, the 9/16" x 6-6.5" are for the body with 3" bodylift and the 5/8"x 4.5" are for the rear springs and shackles. I have also am swapping anything that can be changed out rather easily, shock bolts the tiny bolts on the coil cup to arm, all the swaybar bolts, cage bolts, you get the idea....Mo

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Ok, so I have to ask- what is wrong with commonly available stuff? I buy most of my fastners from the boltdepot.com and grade 8 has worked flawlessly on the race rig.

Have you drilled out the mounting holes for the body mounts? 9/16 is VERY big. As well, the shackles are 9/16, and the spring eye bushings are 5/8. Looks like you have that correct in your list.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Yes already reamed for the bigger body mounts. I use the FS Bronco poly body mounts and if using a bodylift use the FS Bronco blocks as well. They are both 3" dia. and distribute load much better. Ever see the B mounts that the parts houses send you for an EB after a couple of years? They start to sag even the poly ones. I have yet to deal with that since I started using the bigger ones 10 years back. You have to make your own washers/retainer, but that's easy enough. The head on the F911/L9's has more area too which is a plus, although in tight applications can sometimes be a problem. ....Mo

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Given the applications you noted, I would have to say that Grade 9 hardware is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. You increase the tensile strength of the fastener which seems like more would be better, however you reduce it's toughness. Furthermore, you need to torque the faster a lot higher in order to take advantage of the added strength, so assuming you're clamping against mild steel, what tends to happen is the mild steel just moves out of the way when you torque the Grade 9 hardware, making it basically impossible to maintain the proper torque levels.

Ultimately, any fastened joint is only as good as it's weakest link, including whatever it is that you're clamping together.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I think you are right, except for the fact that you are not clamping down fully, you are only slightly compressing the body mounts. The reason they are there is to act much like a valved shock, they will compress and rebound, I could always be wrong( usually the later)though. My shackles look like they use all 5/8" as do the spring eyes. Not sure if the PO changed it or what?...Mo

Last edited:
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
To broncosbybart. I checked with WH and they say that all rear bolts should be 5/8" no 9/16" even on the shackle...Mo

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Thanks guys, ordered the F911 from PolyP this morning all they have is the 4-4.5" no others and no other larger size like the 6" length I needed or the 5/8" for the springs or shackles those I sourced locally( I Wanted to give PP the business, but could not unfortunately)...Mo

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I check afterwards and mine are 5/8" as I interchanged the nuts between the spring eye and the shackle. Sorry didn't catch his name, but he went out and brought a hardware kit back and read the contents. Go figure maybe someone changed mine out...Mo