• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need PCV hose from valve to intake vacuum

f2502011

My 72 302 has its PCV valve hose running from the drivers side to the vacuum block on the back of the engine. I want to replace the hose but not sure what I need. Think these usually ran from the cover to carb port. Since mine is a Holley 4 barrel with ford performance intake it’s a different setup. The hose that’s on it is an Autolite but doesn’t have a part number so I’m not sure what I need. It’s cracked and needs replaced. Can anyone help or have any idea what I’m looking for? This hose is quite a bit longer than the C6AZ-6A664-N that’s reproduced.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3/8" fuel hose generally works. Don't even need clamps most of the time. If the routing is a bit fussy I have been known to bend 3/8 steel fuel line to make the routing with a little rubber hose at each end.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 72 302 has its PCV valve hose running from the drivers side to the vacuum block on the back of the engine.
I'm glad you're replacing it. It should NEVER run to a port or block in one single intake runner. It should ALWAYS go to a common area under the carb. That's why the original was there.
Most Holley carbs have a 3/8" hose barb either coming out of one side, or an end. Usually a side on the ones I've seen.
Do you have power brakes? If so, is the brake hose going to the carb? If so, those two need to be switched around. A brake booster can go to a single intake runner while the PCV has to go to the plenum.

I want to replace the hose but not sure what I need. Think these usually ran from the cover to carb port. Since mine is a Holley 4 barrel with ford performance intake it’s a different setup.
Yep, the original was a molded hose with two different sized ends. Yours is a replacement and like was said I too think it's just an old piece of fuel line that has been there long enough to be set in it's ways, so to speak. At least that's what it looks like from here.
Aftermarket manifolds often don't have the fittings we need, but if you have that one single port on the carb mentioned previously you should be good to go.
I like bending my own out of the 3/8" tubing that was mentioned as well, and using rubber only at the ends.

The hose that’s on it is an Autolite but doesn’t have a part number so I’m not sure what I need.
Might have been a donor from the junk yard. Might have been new at one time bought from a dealer or supplier, but it's just generic hose looks like from here.
At least someone appears to have used good quality hose. It just can't last forever even when you use the good stuff anymore.

paul

OP
OP
F

f2502011

I'm glad you're replacing it. It should NEVER run to a port or block in one single intake runner. It should ALWAYS go to a common area under the carb. That's why the original was there.
Most Holley carbs have a 3/8" hose barb either coming out of one side, or an end. Usually a side on the ones I've seen.
Do you have power brakes? If so, is the brake hose going to the carb? If so, those two need to be switched around. A brake booster can go to a single intake runner while the PCV has to go to the plenum.

Yep, the original was a molded hose with two different sized ends. Yours is a replacement and like was said I too think it's just an old piece of fuel line that has been there long enough to be set in it's ways, so to speak. At least that's what it looks like from here.
Aftermarket manifolds often don't have the fittings we need, but if you have that one single port on the carb mentioned previously you should be good to go.
I like bending my own out of the 3/8" tubing that was mentioned as well, and using rubber only at the ends.

Might have been a donor from the junk yard. Might have been new at one time bought from a dealer or supplier, but it's just generic hose looks like from here.
At least someone appears to have used good quality hose. It just can't last forever even when you use the good stuff anymore.

paul
I’ve been told the hose is specific to the 71-72 Bronco and not reproduced. I don’t think the vacuum block is isolated to a single intake runner. It’s at the very back in the middle of the intake. No power brakes. There is an unused port coming out of the top passenger side of the carb.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got any pics of the set up?
Back when I needed to replace mine you probably still could’ve bought them from Ford, but I didn’t want the stock style. So I made my own.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do remember that you are dealing with a modified engine. You said it now has a holley on an aluminum intake. None of those ports are going to match the same location as the stock 2-barrel did. Simply have to adapt to make it work. There will not be an off the shelf production/reproduction hose that will be a match. Something close, maybe, but that is just random pickings.

As to what Paul was saying about locating the PCV to feed all cylinders. That is a port that is continuous flow. If it went into a single runner, that would unbalance the air/fuel distribution to that one cylinder. Thus pouring that PCV gasses at the base of the carb so they mix in all the cylinders will keep a more balanced mix of air/fuel to all the cylinders. That side port on the Holley, passenger side rear, is an internal passage that has even distribution to both banks. So it looks to be going into only one side, but it really is going to both. Most other vacuum operated items (not counting wipers) are no or minimal flow. So a single runner doesn't matter. If you had an automatic transmission with a vacuum modulator, a single runner works just fine. It just senses the manifold pressure (vacuum) to figure out shift points. Doesn't really put any air into the engine. Power brakes puts a puff of air into the engine for a dozen revolutions of the engine. But once the vacuum booster is charged, or more correctly evacuated of air, the flow stops. A handfull of puffs of air into a single runner momentary put into one runner, at no load no less, won't be noticed.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

This hose is a factory hose that was used on 71-72 Trucks and Broncos. They did reproduce it but it's currently unavailable. Part# D1TZ-6A664-A. It's a little over 2 feet in length. I'm not sure what the factory PCV hose on a non-modified 71-2 Bronco is, but I would imagine it's the same one I have. I've used heater hose until I can find another. So is it okay to run it off the intake port or should I run it off the carb? The vacuum modulator for the automatic transmission runs off the same vacuum block at the back of the engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Heater hose? Are you working with the breather side of the PCV system? I thought you were working on the vacuum side. Now I am more confused.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

Heater hose? Are you working with the breather side of the PCV system? I thought you were working on the vacuum side. Now I am more confused.
Yes vacuum side. Goes from vacuum block on back of motor to PCV valve. Any type of hose would work, but 1/2" heater hose is almost identical to the factory hose that has a 0.45" ID. Should I hook it to the carb or leave it attached to manifold block or does it matter?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
3/8" fuel hose generally works. Don't even need clamps most of the time. If the routing is a bit fussy I have been known to bend 3/8 steel fuel line to make the routing with a little rubber hose at each end.

worked well for me in the past