• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I NEED to hook up a PCV hose?

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I'm getting ready to swap my stock 2 barrel for a Holley Truck Avenger (on top of an Edelbrock 289.)

My current set up uses a breather on top of each valve cover with no hose to the carb for PCV.

Do I need to run a hose to the new carb for PCV? Is there any advantage in doing so?

Emissions is not a concern.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Yes, it helps suck out vapors out of your crankcase and keeps good air flow though your engine

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Without this ventilation mechanism you can get excessive pressure in your crankcase. Excessive crankcase pressure will blow out seals and gaskets leading to oil leaks. It is designed to open only when needed.

Dogdare

He mentioned he has breathers on each valve cover, so that should take care of the pressure situation. I think he's asking the pros/cons to running the breathers vs. a PCV connected to his car or intake. Aside from emissions requirements, which he said aren't an issue, I can't think oy any advantages.

herb

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
So I guess that's the real question; does a PCV system ventilate the crankcase any better than a pair of breathers on the valve covers?

Thanks for all the info so far.

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I am interested to hear some opinions on that too, as it seems to me there is a difference in rpms when I have the oil fill cap removed, which is in essence the same as having a breather on there. Maybe its my imagination. If so, please excuse my impertinent response.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
So I guess that's the real question; does a PCV system ventilate the crankcase any better than a pair of breathers on the valve covers?

In theory, it does.
The reccomended configuration is to have a breather on one side and a pcv valve on the other with a hose running to the intake manifold as a source a vacuum.
The idea is that it pulls fresh air in through the breather, out throught the pcv valve in the vapors get burned up.

That said, I personally don't see how this isn't a vacuum leak that can cause problems. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

yes a PCV does a better job then a pair of breathers. The breathers are mearly vents. The PCV actually pulls air through the system. As the engine burns it produces a little more then a gallon of water for every gallon of gas burned. There will be some leakage past the rings. So water vapor forms inside the crankcase. Normally engine temp will promote evaporation of the water from the oil and the PCV will draw that vapor out and replace it with fresh air. Without the PCV the water vapor (steam) doesn't flow out and condenses into the oil when the engine cools off.

Year ago, before PCV, engines had a breather and a road draft tube. the road draft fube created a mild low pressure area to draw away the vapors like the PCV. The only engines that run just breathers are race engines, but they get frequent oil changes/rebuilds.

Another benifit of a PCV is increased fuel economy. Some of those blowby gasses have unburned fuel in them. Mix that in with the air/fuel already going into the intake and it has a second chance at finding a spark plug to give it life.

Shy of an all out race engine, there is no reason not to use a PCV valve.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
On my dodge truck, I tried just running 2 breathers, but I ended up with a lot of water condensation in the oil. went back to a PCV, and it was all gone after runnin it for 10 minutes.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p You should run the PCV valve if you dont want to then you can run a suck line into the header and it will suck the motor clean. On the other side you will need a good cap so no dirt gets into the motor. On the suck line you will need a one way valve backfire valve good luck and have fun.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Anybody got a good pciture of a PVC set up on a EB engine?

I'm guessing that I can get the PCV valve from any parts store, plug it into the valve cover (thereby replacing one of the valve cover breathers) and run a hose from the PCV valve to the air cleaner. I'll then have to replace the other breather with an airtight cap, right?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Anybody got a good pciture of a PVC set up on a EB engine?

I'm guessing that I can get the PCV valve from any parts store, plug it into the valve cover (thereby replacing one of the valve cover breathers) and run a hose from the PCV valve to the air cleaner. I'll then have to replace the other breather with an airtight cap, right?

No, leave 1 breather and replace the other with a pcv valve, with a hose running to the air cleaner.

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I have a '74. The hose from my PCV connects to a large fitting on the lower rear of the Motorcraft 2150 carb. I am not sure where it would go on the Holley. The other cap has an elbow and hose that goes to the breather.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
Just call O'Reilly's on the northside and speak to Joe, he will get you up everything you need.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
The PCV serves a few functions. It removes moisture from the cranckcase, It keeps a slight negative pressure in the engine to prevent oil leaks. Not running the PCV will cause sludge to build as the moisture is mixed with the oil. It is crazy not to run it. Running a PCV valve does not have a negative affect on performance, so I can't see why you would not run it.

Chris B.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Run a PCV on one side and either a breather cap on the other or a hose that runs up the air filter. I prefer to run a seperate breather so I don't have to run another hose on the top of the engine. The Holly Carb has a port for the PCV valve. I can take a picture when I get home.

Chris B.

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Just call O'Reilly's on the northside and speak to Joe, he will get you up everything you need.

Thanks for the info. I'll call him tomorrow or Saturday.

On a side note, I'm getting the bugs worked out and hopefully will be able to bring it by and meet everyone soon. (I still gotta get the thing tagged though.)

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Run a PCV on one side and either a breather cap on the other or a hose that runs up the air filter. I prefer to run a seperate breather so I don't have to run another hose on the top of the engine. The Holly Carb has a port for the PCV valve. I can take a picture when I get home.

Chris B.

Thanks for the help.