• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

... new 300 cid into my other bronco

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. So I HAVE A 1980 OJ BRONCO I've had since 1986. I bought it out of the wrecking yard . & It's had 3 motors put into it. It has 386K ON IT .
... So I've traded for a 1995 300 cid EFI . I got motor & 5 speed trans & radiator & all the wiring harness & Computer .
... SO My question before we get started .. DO YOU KNOW IF THE 1995 300 BLOCK HAS THE SAME BOLT PATERN FOR THE BELL HOUSING AS THE OLD 1980 HAD. & Will the flywheel from the 80 fit the crank on the 95 300.
... I want to use the 80 bell housing & clutch set up . I don't want to have to swap over to the hyd clutch.
... I'm hoping I can start about april.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The bellhousing never changed for any '80-96 1/2-ton gas engine (smallblocks).

The hydraulic clutch is a VAST improvement, but you can't use the '95 MC with the pre-'92 slave or firewall.

I put a '95 4.9L into my '83 Bronco decades ago, and eventually swapped to the hydraulic clutch. Then I swapped to the later body & frame, with a later MC. The engine now has somewhere near a million miles without a rebuild, in its 3rd chassis, and still runs like-new.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WOW THAT'S BEE A GOOD ONE Steve.
how or what did you have todo for the wiring harness.
I don't believe anyone makes one .. like Painless . I called them they said no.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It's not a popular-enough swap for anyone to build a kit for it.

I did the first swap before the internet & digital cameras existed, so there are very few photos of that.

(phone app link)

But I basically hacked the harnesses apart, and then spliced the '95 circuits onto the '83 harness (using only the Haynes manual wiring diagrams) so they all worked like normal. Although it's a different vehicle & engine, that's pretty much what's shown in this album:

(phone app link)

When I built Frank's '75 Bronco, I just laid the '88 F150 harness in, after removing the unnecessary circuits (like ABS).

(phone app link)

When I moved the '95 4.9L into the (current) '93 chassis, I took pics of some of the wiring mods (in this & the NEXT several), but they were mainly to convert from V8 to I6, so they may not help you much:

(phone app link)