• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"new booster", weird brakes

panalukes

Loc.
Virginia Beach, VA
Guys, I got a weird one for you.

Background info: 77 with disc/disc from PO, weak braking force, pedal travel linear to braking force, not pulling to either side and I don't suspect caliper/slave cylinder issues, 33inch tires. I have bled the brakes multiple times. Bench bled the MC as well. I adjusted the booster plunger so that when it's at rest it's just shy of actuating the MC. Braking force is weak to the point that I can't lock up any wheel in a panic stop. With the engine off, the brake pedal is stiff. No vacuum leaks. Booster check valve works.

I suspected a bad vacuum booster and was able to swap mine out for another that a friend gave me.

With old booster I had weak brakes but it was pretty linear in the amount of pedal force, pedal travel, and stopping force.

Now with the new booster the pedal force for the first 2 inches is pinky pressure, then it gets stiff for the last inch. The braking force remains linear with pedal travel. So it's just a really "light" pedal for the first 2/3 of travel which makes it incredibly sensitive. And the last 3rd of travel feels like normal pressure. Overall braking effectiveness remains the same. Pedal feel is much different.

I suspect a bad MC.

Thanks guys.