• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Wiper Motor Very Slow.

MIDEVIL214

Just installed the Tom’s aftermarket wiper motor. All functions work fine but it is significantly slower than the oem motor on all settings. I followed their wiring diagram since the wires locations are different than stock. Tested w vehicle running also to ensure proper voltage.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I did have the linkage powder coated bit it looks like they covered the pivots which could contribute to some drag if not done.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just because you have 12v up to the motor, doesn't mean you have "good flow" back to ground/battery.
Try going directly from motor ground "terminal" and string a fat new wire directly to neg on battery post. If it comes to life, GROUNDS, GROUNDS, GROUNDS.... bad grounds are why most headlights are not as bright as they used to be...

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

Understood and I will give that a try. I believe the OEM motor grounds through the windshield frame so that hasn't changed. The aftermarket motor includes an additional ground lead that I connected to the frame at another location. Subsequently, I can disconnect that additional lead and the motor still works.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got that part. Just wondering if you can share a picture because you said they powder coated the pivot points.
Is this a stock replacement type linkage with C-channel rods and clips? If so, and the tight fitting pins and bushings were coated, then yes your linkage could be almost completely bound up.

You can post up pictures in your garage and gallery locations, or email them to me at WH and I could post them up for you here in the thread.
At the very least though, pull some of the linkage points apart, and see how it works by hand.

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

Stock 74 linkage. The powder coater is a fellow bronco guy on here. We talked about being mindful of the bronze pivots prior. Rotating them by hand after seemed okay.

Thanks Paul, I'll revisit that tonight, along with a dedicated battery ground. Are the oem pivots serviceable? I know the smaller pivot piece can come off but how about the two pivots on the linkage?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The ground is probably your best bet then. If you checked it before, then they are probably fine.
Good to know they were aware of that stuff.

Not sure about service parts. I know they used to be made of unobtanium, but rarely needed replacement.
Not sure about now. Haven’t seen them but I haven’t checked lately either.
Looking at our site, we still only have the clips as far as the pivots go. We also have the full link assembly, but I don't see bushings by themselves.
They don't look very user-friendly when it comes to removal either!

Hmm, looking for wiper stuff I see that the original dome lights are reproduced finally. Guess I missed that memo!
Or I just forgot like so many other things... :rolleyes:

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had to "re-ground" windshield frames a couple of times now. Between the years, the paint, the rust, and mostly missing body grounds at the battery, they sometimes need extra help where they did not originally.
For those I ran short jumper wires between the base of the windshield frame and the upper corner of the A-pillar. They were half-hidden behind the door seals, but they worked great and we didn't really care if they were visible anyway.

As mentioned before about the headlights, it always seems to crop up at either the windshield frame, or the radiator core support.
Or both!

I'll check on the #5292 and get back to you.

Paul

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

I gave the dedicated battery ground a try and there was no change. I pulled the linkage and found the issue. I had installed an HD wiper arm set up at the same time as the linkage refresh. Those wiper arms have a set screw that locates them on the splined tips of the assembly that poke through the windshield. The 49 year old metal was easily deformed by the set screws causing interference on both pivots. It actually cracked away when trying to tweak it with a pick. I was able to get them situated and tight enough for now. The wiper speed is improved but I feel it may be a hair slower than oem. Tolerable though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, unusual issue, and good detecting. Glad you got it working better.

Paul