• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NON power front disc brakes

MS73HD302

Non power front disc upgrade from factory 4 drum set up. Top speed 55-60 mph on highways. Is this worth the upgrade?

Currently brakes fine but definitely room for improvement. Espically at speed

Reason for looking is I found out my hub and spindle are toast after my wheel was loose again after redoing wheel bearing last week.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Front brakes

MS73HD302,

I did it a decade ago to stop the fade that happens with front drums. My truck was an original Dana 30 axle. I got '75 Chevy Blazer spindles, caliper mounts and calipers. I installed Ford hubs and rotors with Warn Premium locking hubs (all wrecking yard parts). Ran it without power assist up until restoration in 2017. Now hydroboosted and they stop on a dime. Here is the link for the mod: https://classicbroncos.com/tech/chevy-disc-brake-conversion

Best of Luck,

v/r,

Mike

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a set of front drum hubs you can have for shipping if you decide to stay with Drum.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had non power front disk brakes on my 76 actually worked really well, factory disk just no booster

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Pound for pound, properly adjusted drum brakes are equal to or better than disc brakes....until they get wet or hot, that's when the disc upgrade really shines. I've done non power discs on my last three broncos, and just normal driving have not noticed any real difference in feel. You'll really be glad you did it when it's raining, or that last mile coming down the mountain.
Greg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just the consistency and ease of service alone make them worth the swap. But the better fade resistance and water shedding are major bonuses!
Agree that they're not worlds more powerful than properly sized drums. And drums still have a good feel and power due to their self-energizing properties. But I'll never go back...

Non-power here too. At least for one Bronco. The other is power and is nice, but it's not an absolute necessity.

Paul

anoblefox

Contributor
My first EB was a 73 with 31" tires. At the time someone was offering a front disc brake conversion that was from a Chrysler Imperial that I installed. Don't remember where I got it but it was somewhere in the Los Angeles area. It was non power and required a LOT of pedal pressure! My boss at the time needed to borrow the EB for a quick trip. I told him you REALLY have to press hard to get the brakes to work. When he returned he said that he almost was killed before it would stop. He did not elaborate but the Bronco was all OK. I would not recommend disc brakes without a booster. Just my opinion, do what you want.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My first EB was a 73 with 31" tires. At the time someone was offering a front disc brake conversion that was from a Chrysler Imperial that I installed. Don't remember where I got it but it was somewhere in the Los Angeles area. It was non power and required a LOT of pedal pressure!

The Hickey/Clover kit from the early 70s used Chrysler calipers - it was probably from them.

Todd Z.

FordFarmer

Contributor
I have manual disk brakes and 30” tires. They work great. I’ve had a couple of panic stops over the years and they performed great. My pedal feel and balance front to rear is great as well. Credit for that goes to the PO as he did the swap long before I bought it. As of today I have no plans to go boosted.

svobronco

Contributor
I had non power front disk brakes on my 76 actually worked really well, factory disk just no booster

I had a '77 that way....3spd too. Stopped pretty well with 235/75's

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Been running non power disc for decades.
If set up right they work great for up to 33" tires.
And anybody would appreciate power assist...it just makes things more leisurely. But non power disc shouldn't be giving you leg cramps.
My biggest improvement from going disc?
Stopping in a straight line!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
once you start upping tire size you need better brakes. the best reason is in an emergency and have to slam on brakes there is no sudden lane changes. drum brakes are good in the front with 28 inch tires and constant brake adjustment and running the old 55 mph. at 70 in traffic big tires and emergency stops the sooner you shuck the front drums the better.