• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 and NP205 - what needs to happen to make it fit

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Hey all,

I'm fairly new here and have searched all the posts, the FAQ's and the tech articles with limited results (found one decent thread) so I thought I'd try posting.

Short story: I have a 1976 EB and will be running a 302, NP435 trans and married NP205 transfer case. I will be running a 3.5 inch suspension lift and plan on a 1 inch body lift (both from Wild Horses). It's a ground-up build.

I know the 435 swap is very popular and there's much information to be found on it. However, I can't find a lot of info on using the 205 as well.

Questions:
1) I am assuming from some other info I found here that I will have to build a custom crossmember. Is this correct?

2) Will there be any frame or tub modifications required (remember that a 1-inch body lift will be used)? If so, will a 2-inch body lift make it better?

3) Is there anything else I need to consider since I'm planning on using the 205?

Thanks in advance for any info. I appreciate it.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I ran the same set up. You will need to make a custom bracket to mount the whole set up. I used the stock holes for the tranny mount to mount the new one. Really That is the only hurdle you have to jump at this point.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yah a shifter! (shameless pimping)

Attachments

• PC310173s.jpg
    PC310173s.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 70

zerostar2410

Contributor
what year make and model is the best 205 sourced from? and will i need a new adapter from my NP435 (square bolt patter) to the new 205? im currently running the NP435 to D20 adapter.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You'll want to find the setup with the shortest adapter housing. There's at least 2 lenghts out there. Might want to see what combo the big bronco has 78 or 79 I want to say 78 is the best bet as I think the output yokes for the t case are correct for a EB swap. Driveshaft mods will be needed and rear driveshaft angle may be very poor you'll probably need to shim the rear axle to get it better.

zerostar2410
what year make and model is the best 205 sourced from? and will i need a new adapter from my NP435 (square bolt patter) to the new 205? im currently running the NP435 to D20 adapter.

Dont really know why you'd ditch that setup but basically you need a whole new setup both tranny and t case. Your current tranny has the wrong output shaft(too short and wrong spline count) the D20 adapter wont work on a 205. Kinda wished I had a spare 435/205 setup laying around as I'd trade you in a heart beat.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
NP435 and NP205 - what needs to happen to make it fit?

1 word = Determination.

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

Welcome to the site.
I am madgyver

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
With a 1" body lift you'll be able to limit trimming to the body to just the hole for the shifter (search around and you'll find some decent photos of what others have done in that dept). 2" BL might make installation a bit easier, but I hate body lifts and it was only grudgingly that I did a 1" on mine to accommodate the trans.

As stated you'll need to make your own cross member. There are as many different designs as there have been installations. Do what looks best for your needs.

You'll need/want to fabricate a new upper mount for the T-case (again, check the board for photos).

You'll probably need to relocate the emergency brake bracket under the driver seat. Mine hit the T-case.

You'll need to do some drive line modifications for length and the proper type of U-joints, (or swap yokes on the axle or T-case)

As stated, the 435/D20 combo uses a 2wd output, the 435/205 combo uses a long 31 spline output. You either need a different trans or a new output shaft.

Why do you want to get away from the D-20? If it's a breakage issue, you might also consider just upgrading your D20. Depending on your needs and skills it might be a better option for you.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Why do you want to get away from the D-20? If it's a breakage issue, you might also consider just upgrading your D20. Depending on your needs and skills it might be a better option for you.

X2? I'm going to run the 435/ 205 combo w/ an underdrive on my new '68 build but I've already got the married setup from a '77 F-150 w/ the matching FW axles. Going to have lots of frame mods anyhow, poss link, stretch, etc, etc so xmember fab for me is no biggie. My '69 is running the 2wd 435 w/ adapter and D-20 & I LOVE it! Only thing I'd change in the future is possibly some Tera Low gears and upgrading the output shaft of the 20...

zerostar2410

Contributor
sounds like ill be keeping the D20.

just wanted to make sure a D20 will be enough before i start to rebuild or upgrade and realize there is something better and all my work was done for nothing.