• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 / Atlas II

Tucknkitty

Hello Again -

It’s been a few years and the bronco has been on the back burner while my little one has been growing up. The bronco has been great but I’ve had issues with the d20 popping out of 2hi. I’ve always wanted to put an atlas in this rig and I went ahead and bit the bullet.

I’ve done several searches over the last few days on conversions - I’m looking for any nv3550 / atlas pics and insight that anyone can offer.

Specifically:

1. Shifter location and issues. What you did to solve those issues .

2. Fitment issues - although it seems if you’re comfortable with clocking in the stock location fitment should be fine.

3. Challenges I should be aware of…

Pics are greatly appreciated- thank you all in advance.

TnK

Contributor
Why are you choosing the NV3550? Do you already have it? The AX15 is very similar and is readily available brand new or used and has more aftermarket support.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Ah no worries perfect reason! 😊

I’d run it too. Lots of stuff on my truck that I get asked why, because I had it, and some of it is considered sacrilegious 😳🤣

Sorry I don’t have any experience with that combo in a bronco, but it does fit and works well. Atlas does offer a bronco specific shifter that some say is great and some hate, those that hate it go to cable shifter.

FYI if you have issues with it the AX15 is similar enough to be an easy replacement later, as long as the output spline count is the same.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
NV3550 is 23 spline output - the biggest issue you are going to run into is the spline depth. You can change that with clocking ring thickness. Super easy.

Dimensionally they are almost identical so I wouldn't worry too much about the future if you need to swap in an AX15.

OP
OP
T

Tucknkitty

NV3550 is 23 spline output - the biggest issue you are going to run into is the spline depth. You can change that with clocking ring thickness. Super easy.

Dimensionally they are almost identical so I wouldn't worry too much about the future if you need to swap in an AX15.
76!

That’s good gouge — thank you! My NV has held up well over the last 10 years behind that 408. I’ve been away from the forum for awhile - I had no idea that NV3550 were getting hard to come by…it’s like I hit pause in 2019 and now my information is all old and irrelevant!

Thank you

Nothing Special

I have an NV3550 / Atlas combo in my Bronco. There are pictures and discussion of the original install here in my build thread, then about 8 years later (here in my build thread)I attempted to clock it higher, but ended up just raising the trans mount. There are probably more details there, but for some highlights...

I used an Atlas shifter with straight sticks. Before raising the trans mount everything but the sticks was below the floor, so I used two single boots. After lifting the trans a lot of the shifter parts were coming up through the floor so I had to make a box to enclose it, then with a double shifter boot for the sticks.

Fitment wasn't too bad. I really couldn't figure out a decent way to clock it up, but raising the trans mount gives me good enough clearance. My Bronco does have a body lift from a PO (~1").

Routing the exhaust was probably the biggest headache. I ended up running a single exhaust down the right side, with the left crossing over between the oil pan sump and the bellhousing. That gave me problems draining the oil until I went with an oil pan with the drain plug in the bottom of the sump rather than in the back.

edit to add: I mention this in my build thread, but I did need to cheat the transmission mount over toward the passenger side a bit for the Atlas to clear the frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tucknkitty

Special -

Thanks for the link - the pics seem to have disappeared from the original thread but they are still in the build thread - I’ve read it a couple times. Benching that atlas on your own is awesome! My exhaust is routed like yours - bellhousing and then down the right side.

I’ll have to wait till mine comes in - there are a few folks on here with similar builds (351, nv and atlas) and some seem to be able to get the shifters in the same space the d20 had them and some are located differently (like yours).

I plan on clocking it in the stock position - and I’ll go from there…

I know it’s been done before just got work my way through it - I’ll post pics here when I get it done for someone later down the road.

Thanks guys!