• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 conversion

mjschneidy

I bought the kit from Tom's but minus the trans. Seems like you're paying $2k for a rebuilt trans in the kit you referenced. See what you can pick up a used trans for in your area and then weigh that against the cost of having a rebuilt one delivered with the kit. I found a good used NV3550 for $350, replaced front and rear seals and its been solid so far. Its a risk of course....

68Broncoz

Contributor
I have installed it in my Bronco all the pieces fit well together and instructions and Tom's installation videos were worth the extra $ as there are some modifications to make.

I purchased the entire kit including the transmission.

I have it all installed, cant wait to drive it this summer once my restoration is complete.

Chris

I

SHX669

Bronco Guru
When comparing prices on kits you'll find some are just the basic kit others included ALL the parts including the clutch disc and twin shifters.
I went with an install kit and it all fit well - I already had the Transmission.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used their nv4500 kit back in the day when that was the thing..... Advance adapter parts and everything was there.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I bought mine from Toms back when the trannys were new. It was a good deal, especially with no sales tax. However none of the kits I've seen come with the proper amount of tranny lube oil. If you only use the two quarts provided, you're running it low. The stuff was about $30 at the Mopar store.