• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nv4500 diesel swap

harder93

Can you swap a diesel nv4500 into a bronco behind a 289? I ask because I can grab one for 500 bucks and it comes with a gasser input shaft. Is it as easy as just swapping the shaft or is more different than that?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I remember right there is more to it then just swapping the input shaft. The ratios change, so do the number of teeth on the gears. I can't remember if the input to countershaft tooth count stays the same or changes, I think it changes.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Yes!! You certainly can. I used the diesel one behind my 351. The only snafu is the clutch disk splines. Any reputable clutch shop should be able to get you fixed up.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... That's what I was going to say .. Yes just swap the shaft. as I recall ... And then get the correct spline for the clutch. As I recall the Pilot bearing was to large on the diesel one .... But Man $500.00 is a steal.

OP
OP
H

harder93

It's a 5 hour one way drive but I'd sure love to have one what clutch does it end up taking and what pilot bearing do I use?