• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM Fuel tank

Dirt71

I’ve started to replace my fuel tank. Got the old one out with just a few scrapes now I’m close in putting the new one in. I’ve put the gasket on, then the fuel sender…but i can not get the flat nut to fit into place for me to get a flat head screw driver on it to knock it in place. It will not fit flush….any suggestions?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure yet, but just in case it matters are you using a square shaped profile seal on that sending unit? Or is it a round O-ring type thing?

OP
OP
Dirt71

Dirt71

Never mind, I feel so stupid lol…had to turn the nut on flat side…I could of swore that the Nashville guy on YouTube had the flange side down…but I do have another question: on the original tank there are only the fuel neck hose and vent hose, on the new tank, there are 2 spickets what are those? Do I leave them covered?

OP
OP
Dirt71

Dirt71

Never mind, I feel so stupid lol…had to turn the nut on flat side…I could of swore that the Nashville guy on YouTube had the flange side down…but I do have another question: on the original tank there are only the fuel neck hose and vent hose, on the new tank, there are 2 spickets what are those? Do I leave them covered?
Would those 2 be for an auxiliary tank?

armynavy17

Contributor
Those are for the charcoal/venting system and EFI return line. I'd recommend connecting one to a charcoal canister if you don't have one already. The other, provided you don't have EFI, should be capped off.

OP
OP
Dirt71

Dirt71

Those are for the charcoal/venting system and EFI return line. I'd recommend connecting one to a charcoal canister if you don't have one already. The other, provided you don't have EFI, should be capped off.
I don’t have a charcoal canister on there now…where does it mount to?

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
I don’t have a charcoal canister on there now…where does it mount to?
Original location was on the frame passenger side. I relocated mine to the engine bay and used a more modern version. Think it was out of an 80’s mustang.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s why yours did not have the two small hose fittings originally. 66 or 69, and possibly early 70 did not have the evaporative emission system known generically as the charcoal canister. Or in modern parlance, EVAP.

Sometime around the 70 model year through 75 at least there was a small metal canister mounted to the passenger frame rail under the firewall. Those had the condensing tank behind the panel in the pocket behind the drivers left shoulder and 2 fittings on the rear tank only
The second fitting was for liquid to flow back into the tank after it condensed.

In 77 for sure, but I believe 76 too, in preparation for 77‘s new rules, they changed the location and design of the canister from the metal one on the frame to a higher mounted plastic one up on the firewall over by the passenger side heater inlet vent. This newer design carried through for many years and the product is still available today so we can retrofit earlier models if we want.
On 76 the main tank was the same design as yours, but with only a single vent tube because there was no more need for condensed liquid to flow back to the tank.

This type got rid of the condensing tank inside the cabin in preparation for the new rules dictating no exposed filler necks on the side of the vehicle (hence the gas doors for’77 only) and no more fuel inside the cabin of the vehicle.

Basically you can leave yours status quo if you want and simply Off both of those small fittings.
But if you park inside and especially if you smell a lot of gas normally, you can add the charcoal canister system to yours.
It’s not fully compliant unless you also change the filler neck and To the 70 a later model. But it’s better than nothing.