• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM Fuel Tank Skid-plate - Bolt size ?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I acquired an OEM skidplate that I’d like to install as a second line of defense to the one I made to protect the bottom of the gas tank.

I know the frame has threaded holes to accommodate the OEM skidplate bolts. Does anyone know what size and type of bolt was used to hold the skidplate on?

Thanks!!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '71 frame was not pre-drilled for skid plates. I had to make my own after I bought the plates for both the rear tank and the transfer case.
Just picked up some appropriate bolts, then drilled and tapped my own.
Nowadays they'd probably just zip some self-tappers in there and call it done!

Does yours have factory threaded holes? If so, got pics?
Maybe yours had skid plates that got removed at some point by a PO?
If it's got holes, check to see if the t-case area has holes as well. I believe the "skid plate option" included both.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You must’ve been a long time old Ford parts gofer. 👍🏼😉😁
You getting all this information off of one of those old microfiche readers?

I wonder too, if after a certain year, all the frames had the holes pre-drilled?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
With these bolts, the frame had to be pre-drilled . . . but judging by how crooked my D20 skid plate is, the holes were drilled by a UAW member (on a Monday morning) at the installation level, not by a machine at the frame fabrication level.

Every decent parts dealer had one of these on their counter.

2023-11-07_193451.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-11-07_193451.jpg
    2023-11-07_193451.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely! I remember them well.
My guys at the local Ford dealer were actually very good at looking stuff up. Even the young whippersnappers because they had been taught by the grizzled old parts guys that had been doing it for years already.
Mine used to be called West Valley Ford, but changed its name to Frontier Ford for some reason.
I still miss Swanson Ford, but at least I have their license plate frames to remind me of days gone by.
I’m sure you remember them both.😉