• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Leak at Transmission Shift Levers

BCH BRCO

I have an annoying oil drip from the trans. shift levers. Does anyone have an easy fix for these drips other than pulling the trans and replacing the "o" rings that seal the levers? Any success with an oil stop leak additive?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I believe there is a external seal that can be replaced with out pulling and tearing down the trans. It solved my c 4 leak 5 years ago. Only takes 30 minutes. Assuming we are talking C4 auto trans here.

Worth a try, the seal cost about 3 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm going to assume you're asking about a C4 auto tranny.
The shifter has two shafts, one inside the other.
There is an outer shifter shaft seal in that requires the removal of the pan and valve body so it can be replaced.
Then there is the kick-down shaft that just has an o-ring seal between the end of the shifter shaft and kick down lever. It can be replaced by simply removing the kick-down lever and replacing the o-ring.
You can usually tell which one is inside leaking by looking for the hanging drip.
If the drip is on the kick-down lever, the o-ring is probably the culprit.
If the drip is on the inside shift lever, it shift shaft seal will have to be replaced.
Mine was usually only the o-ring.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...d=51-40476-1&gclid=CI-qj5GApdICFUuTfgodkc8Obg

Attachments

• DSC_0156.jpg
    DSC_0156.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 56
  • TransSeal.jpg
    TransSeal.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
BCH BRCO

BCH BRCO

Should have said that mine is the standard 3-speed manual trans. that is leaking. Thanks for the info on the auto though....
Anyone with "stop leak" additives for a short term fix?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I don't know about the OP but I was talking about both my 3-spd levers leaking, among other things

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
3 speed manual for me. I think the seals that need replacing are internal on the 3.......

Tim

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
X5 on leaking 3-speed at shift rails. Plan to take out and replace seals in the Spring. Stupid Ford!

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I know the High Mileage motor oils they've developed in recent years supposedly swell the seals and such to lessen leaks (among other things I'm sure) so maybe there's a similar type trans fluid out there as well?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Those three speeds use gear oil. Any additive you might add should be checked to be yellow metal safe. Some fluids will attack soft metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOrsnge

Contributor
I'm bumping this thread because I'm trying to find those o-rings. Anyone got a place to find them? Link in this thread failed for me.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Assuming 3 speed MANUAL transmission, I would try:

Standard O-ring #111 7/16"ID x 5/8"OD 0.103" Cross Section Nitrile

NPD Part Number : T-7288-2

OIL SEAL, Transmission Shifter Fork Cam and Shaft, O-ring seal,
Seals the shift shafts as they exist the case side
Manufacturer Reference #'s:
Fastenal: 1166823
Ford: 1A-7288-A, E0UZ-7288-A

Note: It appears the O-ring goes in groove on shaft BEFORE shaft is installed in case.
What say @BigOrsnge ?

1700254944802.png

Last edited: