• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil leaking after changing to NV3550 trans

tampabronco

I've changed the rear main seal twice and still leaking oil. The seal and cap looked snug while I was in there. I noticed it leaking oil about the time I switched the trans. Is it possible an oil leak is related to a trans swap?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn’t think so normally.
Unless somehow the bellhousing register hole was offset enough to create a bind between the transmission shaft snout and the back of the crankshaft. But rather than cause the rear main to leak, I would think that it would put excess wear on the transmission input bearing and seal instead
Are you sure it’s the engine oil that’s leaking?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was it a manual transmission before? If you replaced a flex plate with the fly wheel, did you use thread sealant on the flywheel bolts?
I can’t remember for sure, but don’t they go all the way through and can be a potential source of leaks?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thread sealant.

Was it leaking before swap? Might be bad surface on crank.

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Was it a manual transmission before? If you replaced a flex plate with the fly wheel, did you use thread sealant on the flywheel bolts?
I can’t remember for sure, but don’t they go all the way through and can be a potential source of leaks?
It was a stock 3 speed before the swap. Not sure if I thread sealant