• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old school round light or LED light bars??

kat

Loc.
Bristol
My first thought to run "old school" 7 inch (black housing) round off road lights (KC's, Hella, ETC) on my front bumper but after some thought I was thinking of running a 24 inch light bar UNDER my bumper in the center. But this leaves the light bar vulnerable. But then seen some longer 50+ inch led bars that some of the cool kids are running on top of the windshield (similar to the jeeps). But my concern with that is drilling into my windshield frame/running wires and chance of having leaks. So what is yall's opinion...I want something bright but don't want something to look "out of place"....Anybody have any experience?? I could go smaller than 7 inch but don't want square lights...any pics would be nice.
https://flic.kr/p/EhDGJN

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I think KC has high performance led lights in round old school looking housings. Best of both worlds.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I think KC has high performance led lights in round old school looking housings. Best of both worlds.
I seen some of those. This might sound like a dumb question but what is the best way to mount them to an aftermarket bumper? With my bumper would I drill/tap a hole on top of it?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I'm a big fan of staying with the old school look for our Broncos if possible so I'll vote Ø6" or similar round KCs but if you can go with the old school look and get modern performance like bronconut73 suggests... I'd go that route... for sure

DJs74

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Most bumpers like yours already have holes for mounting lights.
Most would drill a hole and use a nut rather than tapping the bumper, prolly be easier too.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I debated the same thing.... I chose bar. Hard decision and could have easily been pushed the other way. I just didnt like the round bumper lights covering the grill and parts of the turn signal.

Attachments

• DSC01020.jpg
    DSC01020.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01026.jpg
    DSC01026.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 155

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I seen some of those. This might sound like a dumb question but what is the best way to mount them to an aftermarket bumper? With my bumper would I drill/tap a hole on top of it?

The KCs I've used have a threaded mounting stud, you just need a through hole with access on the underside to get the lockwashers and hexnuts on.

DJs74

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Most bumpers like yours already have holes for mounting lights.
Most would drill a hole and use a nut rather than tapping the bumper, prolly be easier too.
There are no pre drilled holes and it has welded seams. Its a Bailie Built. So realy no easy access

I debated the same thing.... I chose bar. Hard decision and could have easily been pushed the other way. I just didnt like the round bumper lights covering the grill and parts of the turn signal.
I do like the look of the bar...how is it mounted and wired??

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Came with its own wiring harness that hooked directly to the battery. I didnt like the mounting bracket (it was made of pot-metal and I didnt trust it) so I just made a basic one out of aluminium.

Attachments

• picq.jpg
    picq.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 130
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Came with its own wiring harness that hooked directly to the battery. I didnt like the mounting bracket (it was made of pot-metal and I didnt trust it) so I just made a basic one out of aluminium.
Just sheet metal screws in the windshield frame?? It doesn't leak?? I run a hard top so how would you run the wires from it to the inside of cab?? Run it at the corner of door frame/cab/windshield??

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...7 inch (black housing) round off road lights...a 24 inch light bar UNDER my bumper...50+ inch led bars that some of the cool kids are running on top of the windshield...
There are MANY other choices. Search eBay for "led work 12v".
...drilling into my windshield frame/running wires and chance of having leaks.
The door gaskets aren't so tight that you can't route a wire through there, but there are also plenty of good spots for grommets in the firewall, cowl, and door jambs that would be hidden & rain-resistant.

But depending on where you wheel, something sticking up above the roof could be almost as vulnerable as something hanging below the front bumper. And if you put it on the face of the w/s frame, it would light up the hood and cause a lot of glare, making the light far less-useful. Think about all the OTHER mounting options you have with smaller lights... You can still have a BUNCH of them, but each one can be tucked out-of-the-way (and maybe out-of-sight), and aimed just where you want it (not an option with a big bar).
So what is yall's opinion.
Pick some that you like, post the links to them, and we can discuss the pros & cons of each. But you have to narrow down the list first.
...don't want square lights.
There are MANY other choices.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Old school round. If you have to have the led use the kc conversion inserts. But im biased. I think our rigs should like the period of time they came from. Unless you are building a full blown modern resto mod. Then everything should be updated to modern and it will look fine. Just no mixing and matching

Attachments

• IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 163

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Just sheet metal screws in the windshield frame?? It doesn't leak?? I run a hard top so how would you run the wires from it to the inside of cab?? Run it at the corner of door frame/cab/windshield??

1. Bolts not screws.
2. Doesn’t leak but I sealed everything with "Goop" (its a clear glue/sealant).
3. I ran the wires into the cab then up my roll cage and over to the light (I have soft doors so its not an issue. In your case I would probable thread it up through the gap in the hood and up the rain-gutter on the side of the windshield.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I just didnt like the round bumper lights covering the grill and parts of the turn signal.
This is my biggest concern...

Old school round. If you have to have the led use the kc conversion inserts. But im biased. I think our rigs should like the period of time they came from. Unless you are building a full blown modern resto mod. Then everything should be updated to modern and it will look fine. Just no mixing and matching
Well then you probably cringe at my rim choice....;D

I think Im going with the big bar.....Eoth, do you get glare on your hood when they are on??..what length is your bar???

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can't beat the output of an led bar light. These things are super bright. :cool:

Attachments

• 2016-01-09 15.12.51.jpg
    2016-01-09 15.12.51.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 147

Nothing Special

Personally I really don't like the look of light bars, especially on older vehicles. But then again, yeah, your choice of wheels makes me cringe. But that's OK, it's your truck, not mine, and I'm fine with other people having different tastes.

So my vote is old-school round, but your's is the only vote that counts.

Last edited: