• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One last wire harness question (I hope)

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
For all of the unused wires with no terminal on the end:

I’m planning to wire tie them to the rest of the word bundles and stuff them into the looming but what should I do with the ends of the wires?

Should I put heat shrink tubing over them so that no bare wire is exposed?

Thanks!

Jfryjfry

Anything to keep the wires from grounding out. Heat shrink that extends past the end is a great idea. Or wrap with electrical tape.

wsager

I like the marine heat shrink available at Harbor Freight. It has a hot glue inside that you can pinch and really seal it off.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, before you wrap them you can check them with a test light to see if they are hot key on, accessory, or key off, just so you know. That way you know if you want to tap into a hot wire later (hopefully on a fuse).
Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the Painless harness you can also leave the fuses out, because most of them (if not all) have their own dedicated fuse.
The wires are marked along the way with their function, whether key switched or full-time power ("BAT+" I think?) so at least it's obvious what's what. If you can read the small print that is! I have a hard time with it myself. Need bright light or magnifying glasses.

Even if you pull the fuse it's still a good idea to seal off the ends. Protects the conductor from corrosion. And even though it's easy enough to cut a bad tip off, sometimes moisture will creep up farther than you'd like. Maybe not an issue with the TXL wires, but you never can be too careful.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I agree with putting heat shrink on each ... But I ALWAYS shorten each one also . So as no 2 ends can get together . & Leaving the fuzes out .

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Picker, are you suggesting you’re not 100% ready to roll next week??? Get a move on! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I made sure all the fuses were pulled for the extra wires and zip tied the wires up under dash for future use.